Rocking toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The flange below my American Standard PA toilet (Cadet, maybe?) apparently sits a little too proud of the floor. The toilet rocks a little, but there are no signs of leakage, either of water or sewer gas. I had this problem in the past when the bathroom was covered in linoleum, but hoped that new ceramic tile would raise the floor enough to compensate. It was fine for a while, but as the wax ring flattens out, the toilet rocks, and I think I've tightened things up as much as I dare.

Aside from ripping out the old flange, etc., and starting over, are there any other solutions? Right now I'm thinking of cutting a cementboard "gasket", but that strikes me as klutzy.

I wouldn't mind replacing the toilet if need be -- the PA makes quite a racket, although it is damned effective at clearing even a Jeff Foxworthy - style load -- so if any one knows of a toilet that can handle a higher flange, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Prashster

Reaction score
I asked the same question a couple days ago. Two options (to my knowledge):

1) Shim the high corner of the toilet. They make plastic spacers. As long as the seal is good now and the toilet is properly supported on the floor (not the flange) and if you can prevent rocking, then it should hold.

2) Lift up the toilet and make a 'pedestal' the size of the toilet that will bring the whole toilet up 1/8 to 1/4" such that the flange'll sit flush to the pedestal. Caulk around the base. of the toilet to hide the edges of pedestal.

I'm assuming you don't want to do what everyone who doesn't have to do the work themselves might tell you: cut off the flange and put a new one on at the proper height...

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Actually, I wouldn't mind replacing the flange someday. It'll give me an excuse to buy another tool, I'm sure. Right now this is the only working toilet in the house, though, so if something goes wrong at 10:30 on Sunday night, one of us is going to have a rough time if she has to go potty ;), and that means I won't be very happy either. I think it's the pedestal for now.

Is there any possibility that the flange is being pulled up higher over time? When I set the tile, it looked like it was pretty well encased in concrete, but my paranoid gland is acting up.

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds to me that you have a floor that's not real flat or the base of the toilet is warped. Either way just reset the toilet with spacers where needed and mix some tile grout, not caulking, and fill in around the base and wipe with a wet sponge or may be some t-shirt rag. You can make that look quite good too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
You can buy a complete toilet "shim" that shims up the entire toilet.

Might be quicker and easier to just buy some plexiglass material, set the toilet on there, trace the outline and then cut it out...sand down the edges and you'lll have a custom toilet shim.

Don't forget to cut the hole for the flange. :)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Plexiglass will show every residue that wicks and drys under the plexi. They make what are called marble slabs to do the same thing and they are white. Try H*** D****. Some of them carry them or you should be able to get or order from a plumbing supply house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Plexiglass comes in colors, too! A shim might end up cheaper. The ones I've seen are rectangular, and won't be hidden as a custom one. Not sure what they are actually made of, so don't know if tracing and cutting is an option with them. In some locations, they (were?) code requirment - you had to install one for each toilet. My guess is it spread the base out to prevent it from falling through the rotting floor:confused: .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks