Flange Recessed

Users who are viewing this thread

glennmanus

Reaction score
I have a basement bathroom that I am redoing and I just completed the tiling. The flange is flush with the concrete floor and now since adding the 1/8" tile is 1/8" below the new tile. Can I just use a bigger wax ring or is there something else I need to do to make a good seal?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can buy flange extender rings to raise the top where it should be (if it can't be raised on its own). That is better than using two wax rings, less chance (not a huge one, but exists) of a blowout if you plunge the toilet. Test fit the toilet prior to final setting with the wax ring. If the toilet rocks after squishing the wax ring down, it doesn't bounce back and you'll have a failed ring. Shim the toilet so it is stable, remove, then install with the wax ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks