Please help me find a toilet to fit!

Users who are viewing this thread

thenline

Reaction score
To all who read and offer advice, I thank you in advance.

I'm in the process of finishing off my basement. I have a toilet drain that was already installed in the concrete, which is 14" on center from my roughed in wall (will be 13 1/2" once I install the drywall). My problem: Due to the drain location, and existing plumbing/framing obstructions, I'm very limited in space in front of/just to the right of the toilet (once it's installed, as you're sitting on it). I can forsee this as being very awkward when trying to sit down/get off of the toilet. So, I'm in need of some advice as to which manufacturer has a short toilet design. I went on a couple manufacturer sites (Kohler, AS) to look around, but it looks like the shortest designs are one-piece designs, and they're all set up for 12" drains. I'm looking for something in white, so that should help.

Again, thanks for your comments!

Tom

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Short toilets

Can you give some measurements?
From back wall to center of drain,
From left wall to center of drain,
From right wall to center of drain,

Most toilets are 12" from the back wall to the center of the drain with aprox. 3/4" between the toilet and wall.

Toto Makes a 2-piece regular bowl toilet, the Dalton, CST733F that is 26.125" from front to back. Most regular bowl toilets are 26.5" long.

thenline

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

The center of the drain to the back wall: 13 1/2" (with drywall on wall), 14" to roughed-in wall.

Left and right walls to the center of the drain: 18"

The problem that I have would be just to the front of the toilet, and would be much easier to explain if I could post/email you a digital photo... (My water meter is just off and to the right of the front of the toilet, which will be framed in with an access door.)

Thanks again!

thenline

Reaction score
Here's a photo of what I was trying to describe. As the photo shows, the front of the toilet will be awkwardly close to the framing. The straight edges are 4' long.

Attachments

• DSC00448.JPG
    DSC00448.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 5,552

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There should be 24" in front of the bowl, so with most toilets you would need something like 52" from the back wall or more.
I've seen less at times, but it gets tight.
What you have does look awkward.

You can get a 14" rough toilet that pulls the bowl closer to the wall.
Toto has models that use an adapter for that. Theirs are in the elongated bowls, so you would still have the bowl coming out 28.25" from the back wall.
The regular bowl Dalton would come out 28.375" from the wall but be more rounded.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

If you can find a "true" 14" toilet, not one that just uses a tank that is 2" wider than the one that usally is used with the bowl, then it will have the same projection from the wall that a common 12" one would if the pipe were only 11 1/2" inches from the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks