Most efficient way to rooter main drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffH

Reaction score
My goal is to rooter as much of the main drain line as possible.

- Single story
- One way clean out (to street) in front of house.

Should I start with the furthest LARGE drain (toilet in back of house)?

The furthest drain is the kitchen, but of course it's a 2 inch (won't accept large cable).

Thanks for you input!

JeffH

Reaction score
It just seem to me...

that a main clean out should be located in both the front an back of the house. This would make it easier to move the clog (if in the main) from the back of the house, straight out to the street. If the clog was in front of the house, then you would simply use the front of the house access point. Since there is NO clean out in the back of my home, I asked the original question.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
sewer

It would help if you told us why that is your goal
I'm at a loss to know why you want do what your saying. Just for the heck of it or do you want someone to determine if you have a plug inside the house or beyond the C.O. in the front yard and clean whatever is necessary?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The answer to your question is the reason most new codes specify two cleanouts outside the house. One to go into the building, and the other to the main sewer. But since the inside sewer is seldom a single pipe, and it almost never is the cause of a stoppage anyway, the one to the inside is seldom needed. Snaking a funcitoning sewer can be counterproductive, since if you dislodge material from the interior of the pipe, even with water flowing, the material may just lay in the drain pipe and cause a stoppage as normal sewage builds up behind it. When the sewer is in a backed up condition, the accumulated water will flush it out when the stoppage is removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks