Disposer, need two traps. How?

Users who are viewing this thread

Henry

Reaction score
My disposer's manual says use two traps. Most people say do not. My inspector says use two. How do I use two P-traps (we can't use S-traps here)?

Do I need two drain lines behind the wall, and each P-trap comes out of the wall behind each sink?

Can I put a tee between the two traps and direct the common (middle) leg to a single drain line? Would a baffle tee work in this orientation, or does it have to point downward?

Anybody got a diagram of a good two-trap configuration?

H. C.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
traps

There may be as many "good" two trap designs as there are sinks. There is no "one design fits all", and each installation has to be individually configured. You might need a Y, a double Y, Y and 1/8 bend, etc. You have to design it to fit your sink configuration and the location of the drain in the wall. Most installations, however, use a single trap.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the inspector wants 2 traps, unless you can get him to change his mind, you will need to install 2.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
traps

You could tell him that most codes do not allow 2 traps on a single arm because the water from one flowing past the other can create a low pressure area.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
is this a double compartment sink, some codes state it is ok to have a trap for each bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks