help with gas line

Users who are viewing this thread

sjcrawley

Electrician
Reaction score
i want to run a line from my house to a furnice in my garage (35'). I plan on using black pipe and was thinking of using 3/4". As well i plan on doing all the work except the final conections (i will hire someone) my questions are
1) can i oversize my line without (3/4 instead of 1/2) any problems as im not sure what size BTUs the furnice is.
2) being in alberta do i have to add a frost sleave at the entrance to garage and exit from house into the ground to prevent the line from stress
3) i have a 3/4" line going into the house (main line) and i have a gas furnice, dryer and in the future a gas stove as well as a furnice in the garage is this line even big enough??
any help would be appreciated :) :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

I plan on using black pipe and was thinking of using 3/4". As well i plan on doing all the work except the final conections (i will hire someone)

Do not even think about using black pipe if you are going to bury it underground. It will not pass any code, and WILL rust out in a very short time.

1) can i oversize my line without (3/4 instead of 1/2) any problems as im not sure what size BTUs the furnice is.

3/4" would not be oversizing it. In fact it might be too small depending on the distance from the meter to the furnade and the furnace's BTUs.

3) i have a 3/4" line going into the house (main line) and i have a gas furnice, dryer and in the future a gas stove as well as a furnice in the garage is this line even big enough??

Probably not, but it depends on the length of the pipe and the BTUs being used.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Being in Canada you need to check with your local inspector to

#1 see if you are allowed to do the work your self and

#2 what materials and sizing are required in your area to do that kind of job.

sjcrawley

Electrician
Reaction score
ty i guess i better rethink this it just so hard to find a contracter due to the boom here

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks