tap water got very rusty

Users who are viewing this thread

miklinjac786

Reaction score
:confused: I have a 500 foot well. It is about 10 years old. The house and pipes are about 45 to 50 years old. The water has had a little rust in it (settlels to botom) but suddenly it started to come out almost orange/brown in color. What does this mean? :confused: I have a water softner hooked up to all pipes except the cold water in the kitchen. The kitchen cold water is the only one effected.

Last edited:

Duane Smith

Reaction score
What kinda plumbing system? We had same problem growing up as a kid Galvanize steel plumbing.

miklinjac786

Reaction score
It' better

Our house is on a slab and the way that the pipes are hooked up there is no way to hook up the kitchen cold water. The problem seemed to almost go away later the same day. I was wondering if it could have anything to do with a very large amount of rain?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes it could have to do with a large volume of rain raising the water level in the well.

It could be a slug of IRB (iron reducing bacteria) breaking loose. But if the water is/has been odor free, that is a remote possibility.

Do you have any type of water filter or softener? If so, by-pass them one at a time and see if there is any improvement. If so leave the one by-passed that causes the discolored water and call a water treatment dealer for service. If no treatment equipment, get a water test done and buy an appropriate filter etc..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks