Toilet flange installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Griva

Reaction score
Hi,

We are in process of building the bathroom in our basement. The plumbing was roughed in by the builder. There is a 3" pipe and around it there is some space. Concrete floors. Our problem is that when we put the flange on the pipe, all holes where the flange is supposed to be screwed to the floor are above that space that is around a pipe, so basically, we have no concrete to attached to flange to.

What should we do?

thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much space we are talking about here but can it be filled with vinal cement/concrete. If you get everything ready, pipe cut to proper length and prefit you could pour the cement and install the flange. Be sure there is no cement anywhere where it would cause a problem installing the flange bolts that hold the toilet down. You can stick the flange screws into the wet cement and let it harden around the screw.

If you fill the space and then try drilling it it may just break out and make a mess.

They make a concrete bonder that can be brushed on the existing concrete so it will bond better. Follow directions.

Griva

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

So it is OK to fill the gap with concrete? The space is small - when the flange is on the pipe, the screws are touching the edge of the concrete. If we fill the space up, there won't be any space left around the pipe - the pipe will be totally 'cemeted' - is this OK?

Thanks

Griva

Reaction score
My husband is not sure that if we stick (not screw in, but stick) screws into the wet concrete, they will not hold the flange securely. He thinks there won't be enough bonding between the body of the screw and the concrete.

The space is so narrow that the flange inself covers it, so we will have to fill the gap with concrete and then glue the flange to the pipe - so all screws will have to be pushed into the concrete.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That is why I suggested vinal concrete with a brushable bonder for the existing concrete.

Would you be able to get the vinal into the space through the bolt adjustment slots after the flange was installed?

I know it would take some time to do but with a stick and patience you may be able do it. You can also get longer screws that will hold better.

Maybe you could pour some concrete, install the flange, and then put some through the flange slots.

Last edited:

Griva

Reaction score
What is vinal concrete? I googled it and found no information.

Griva

Reaction score
Thanks!

One more question.

Is there an easy way to level the toilet bowl? - The tile is on the floor already and it turns out the bowl is not level.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Shim it with either plastic or maybe pennies, nickels or washers. Then caulk the edges to lock things in place.

Does it rock? IF so, you may have compromised the wax ring. The wax, once it gets squished out of the joint, doesn't flow back, so if it rocks, it is likely you don't have a good seal. The trick is to get it sitting level without the wax ring installed, pull it back up, install the wax ring and get it back down in the same place so it doesn't rock any more.

Griva

Reaction score
It doesn't rock - we are just getting ready to install it.

I realized that it is not level when we just put the bowl in place - just to see if it fits OK (so no wax ring was involved)
We will try to make it level before setting it to the wax ring.

THanks for your help!

griva

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks