Deck sealing

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Weather permitting, I am going to seal the deck with Thompson's deck sealer.
But, I am not sure if I need to clean the deck first. If I need to, can I just use bleach and water? Or should I buy a deck cleaner. Also, is using a hard brush good enough, if I need to clean it? The deck sealer would repel water, right?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Bleach is a little harsh. I would use a deck cleaner, which probably does contain some bleach. A pressure washer would help as well, depending on bad the deck is. Thompsons is c%$#%^ola. It does provide a seal, but needs to be applied MINIMUM twice a year, probably 4 is more like it. There are better sealers on the market.

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Cabot's Deck Stain

Cabot's Decking stain is rated highly by Consumers Report magazine. I have been following there deck testing for 10 years. Most of the first batches tested were so bad...durability, protection, etc that they threw them out of the tests. Flunked 'em. And, manu have been reformulating since.

The last 2 years or so they have liked Cabots Decking stain...semi-transparent. Lasts about 3-4 years which is longgggggggggg for decking. The more opaque, less transparent, the more protection in general. The clear ones last about a yr, if that.

Like painting, 90% of the job is prep! Prep well. Clean w/ deck cleaner and let dry well. Apply stain when weather conditions are appropriate...temp & moisture.

Last edited:

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
You should be able to buy it in the east. I don't know if the big box stores have it. I get it from a local paint store manned by pros, not high school kids, like some are.

I hate staining the deck so I have been paying attention to these tests by Consumer Reports.

P.S. I am actually a woman electrician. I just have alot of plumbing issues right now because i recently bought a neglected 70 yr old house. "Sparkie" is a nickname for electricians

Have fun w/ the deck. I gotta do mine again too.

Link to Cabot...Decking Stain:
http://63.127.195.68/shared_frames.cfm?area=towoca&cabot=1sales

Locate a local dealer:
http://63.127.195.68/shared_frames.cfm?cabot=1&area=dealoc

It showed Lowe's has it in our area.

Last edited:

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Funny, I was just adjusting my Mom's 50 yr old double hung windows yesterday for same problem, for first time. The foreclosed Cape Cod charmer I bought is right next door to Mom. She became a widow last august, after 56 yrs of marriage, when my Dad passed. That's why I bought this house.

WIndows...type?

Double hung: 2 halves, move up & down in tracks on side, typically the bottom half is only moved. The movement is controlled by counterweights & rope hidden w/in the side rails (Pain in the arse) or by friction from the side rails pushing inwards.

My Mom had metal tracks that move in & out by simple slotted screws. I had to play w/ them a while to get the feel of them. Some windows were too loose and some too tight.

The foreclosed charmer has original single paned 8 over 8 double hungs that need total replacement. In the winter I will be able to see utility dollars jumping out these windows. So, gotta replace them one by one.

Bye

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Absolutely do not use Thompsons. I grew up in Buffalo, NY and my father religiously used thompsons, despite 2 coats applied every year, his deck still faded and rotten out underneath him quickly.
I am in NC and my deck gets a LOT of sun. I have gone through a couple different types (have not tried cabots though will have to check that out). I have one I use now I bought from HD that lasts 2 years (if I put down heavy coats). It says it is "Clear" but in fact it has tinted my deck significantly darker than it was. Still looks about 500% better than rotted wood. So whatever you get make sure your test it out in a smaller area and make sure you can live with what it looks like.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There are 2 types of sealers.

1 type sits on top of the wood forming a seal the other penetrates the wood.

The DEFY is a penetrating sealer.

The sealers that sit on the wood have to be stripped off when changing brands because you find one that is better than the one you were using.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Cookie, did the supplier of the Cabots tell you how may years you could expect from their product if applied right and do you know if it is a penetrating sealer or a film type? I'm curious.

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Hi Cookie

Hi Cookie,

I meant to tell you good job on tackling the home improvement and repairs around your house. With enough time & effort...it gets done, huh! Atta Girl!!!

Thanks for your kind thoughts and questions about my Mom & I. Mom, the new widow, is doing well. I think she likes it that I am close enough to look into her house from my foreclosed "palace" w/ binoculars, if I want. :)

I have taken time off from work (electrician) to work on 2 houses I have. The one I moved out of I am turning into a rental so doing many updates to it. That house is my priority right now because the rent $ will pay for this foreclosed palace. So, no, haven't taken the time to get my water pump going again. Plus, took an overtime job for this week at a local steel plant so little time. Rib healing,seems ok.

Bye

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Small world

We just researched deck finishes yesterday to get ready to do our dock, which I suppose is deck-like enough to use the same stuff. We chose Cabots as well, available at Lowe's. Now arguing over color. The Cabot's 1400 series is oil-based, presumably penetrating to some extent, but in any event it's come out on top of CU's list for the last couple of years. We're going to pressure-wash the dock tomorrow (happy 4th, everyone), then wait for enough dry days to dry the thing out.

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
Dock has been delayed somewhat -- unexpected guests arriving in an hour or so. Cabot's Website has a lot of info on prepping your deck for staining. Their 1400 series is the one CU rated most highly, and is a penetrating stain. Since it wants to penetrate, the old surface should be porous (and clean). If it's unfinished, a straight pressure-wash should be fine, although Cabot (of course) recommends their fancy deck cleaner. If it was previously painted or something, it could have to be sanded, which is an ugly job.

Replacing a couple of boards should be easy, depending on how they were fastened in the first place. With corrosion-proof screws, it's a DIY job. With air-fired ring nails, it's a job for someone well-versed in language not fit for a lady to listen to.

Happy 4th!

dave007

Reaction score
i use 'olympic 3 year' tinted stain.
so far, no problems. I've done it twice in the past 6 years.
I'm due again late summer/this fall.

I get direct sunlight about 8-10 hours a day,
but i also have 40% of my deck covered by various pots, benches
etc.

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Now that you got me all curious I have been looking for this Cabot stuff. I did find it was one of the big box stores whose name rhymes with "Goes". Quick question for those of you that use it. The clear color they have, how clear is it? I have used plenty of "clear" stuff in the past that actually tinted my deck pretty dark.

Mikey

Reaction score
Cabot coloring

Cookie, did you use a custom color? Cabot's advertises something like 74 colors for their 1400-series stain, but so far I've been to 3 Lowe's stores and their paint departments had no clue how to mix the Cabot colors, nor did they have any color charts. The "1480" stain that CU tested is actually the "Redwood" color, number 80, they say, but their on-line colors aren't numbered that way. Viewing the charts on different computers showed radically different colors. I called Cabot's customer service and got a lot of sympathy, but no help. I may have to go to a real paint store.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks