11" Rough In Toilet!!

Users who are viewing this thread

linwein

Reaction score
Hello,

Our toilet needs replacing and it needs an 11" rough in distance. So far, I`ve run into stiff resistence from the local plumbing supply stores. They state that there is no such animal, yet I seem to have one! can anyone help with this dilemma?
Thanks,
Richard

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
Yes, like Terry said, some 12's will work...you just have to go to the showroom and measure them out...look for a small bowl and small tank. You should be okay.

Spokaneman

Reaction score
When I installed my Toto Vespins with the Unifit 12" adapter it seemed to me that it could be moved forward or back from the exact center of the flange by about 1/2 inch (each way) or so before tightening the bolts and securing the adapter to the floor. I remember this as I was thinking that I might want to take a little of the gap between the toilet and the wall by moving it as far back as possible. I didn't however, and there is a good 3/4 inch between the tank lid (the widest part of the tank) and the wall. Had I moved the unifit as far forward as possible, I would have had at least 1" and probably more like an 1 1/4 inch between the wall and tank lid. My flanges are about as close to a true 12 inch RI as possible.

Point being, consider the unifit toto as I think there is a bit more adjustability than a standard type toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:

maddfrog

Reaction score
Similar issue

My wife has selected a Kohler Memoirs toilet for our bathroom remodel. It appears that we have an 11 1/4" rough-in (haven't pulled the toilet - just based on a measurement to the center of the bolts).

According to the specs on Kohler's website, they allow for a 1" gap between the tank and the wall. Are these specs pretty accurate? We're about to redo the floor and I'd have the opportunity to have the flange moved out 3/4", but it'll involve cutting a joist and installing two headers. I'd rather avoid the cost and hassle if possible.

Think it'll fit?

Spokaneman

Reaction score
I'd put money that it will. I would sure test fit it before I cut the floor. Probably when you pull the old toilet, you will find that the R/I is closer to 12" than your rough measure shows. Also, the R/I demension is to the wall board so if you measured to the baseboard, that would be another 1/2 inch or so.

maddfrog

Reaction score
looks like it'll fit

We pulled the old toilet and the rough-in turned out to be exactly 11 inches. Did a dry-run with the new toilet and it looks like it'll fit with 1/4 inch to spare. I'll post again after it's actually installed.

maddfrog

Reaction score
First, the good news

The toilet fit with 1/4" to spare. I'm actually glad that the rough-in was 11". It's tiny bathroom and every inch counts, so it's nice to not waste an inch of space behind the toilet.

Now for the bad news - the tank leans forward. It's a two-piece Kohler Memoirs with a round bowl and the 'Stately' design. It was installed by a professional plumber, and he didn't see any way to correct it. The floors are very close to level and the bowl's been shimmed to be level, but the tank is still at least 1/4" further from the wall on the top than on the bottom.

I saw another thread ( https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1543)where someone had a similar problem, but there was no resolution for it in the thread. Any ideas?

samsmo

Reaction score
11" rough in issues

Saw your post and have same problem with an existing 11" rough in and wanting to replace with a 12" RI Kohler toilet. Are you still satisfied with your results on this situation? I realize it's been some time ago and am hopeful that you have had no problems. The specs for the model we want to use are the same as for the Memoirs (had planned on that one at first!). I'd apprecaite your feedback. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks