(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Caulk or Plumbers Putty for Sink Basket

Default Caulk or Plumbers Putty for Sink Basket

Do you guys use Plumbers Putty on Sink Baskets - Bathtub Drains, etc.
    I have always used Plumbers Putty but maybe it's just me, but over time....it tends to seep out of the flange edges. I've noticed this primarily with our bathtub.

Is the *preferred* way of doing this these days is clear silicone caulk ?

I never found plumbers putty to be a problem at all.

If plumbers putty is used and the item installed right it should last a very long time. I have seen sinks that were 40 years old that haden't leaked using plumbers putty. What normaly causes failure is using to much putty.

Default putty

The only reason it usually seeps out is because the drain was not tightened properly to begin with.

Unhappy bathtub drain

It was mentioned that the problem with this is not proper tightening in the first place. Please tell me what proper tightening is. We installed a new two piece tub/shower unit (fiberglass). We installed the shoe elbow, rubber washer and shoe strainer with plumbers putty under the shoe strainer and no matter what we do is still leaks. How tight should it be? I wonder if we are squeezing too much of the putty out. If we don't tighten it extremely tight the washer under the tub is not pulled up tight underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha
    It was mentioned that the problem with this is not proper tightening in the first place. Please tell me what proper tightening is. We installed a new two piece tub/shower unit (fiberglass). We installed the shoe elbow, rubber washer and shoe strainer with plumbers putty under the shoe strainer and no matter what we do is still leaks. How tight should it be? I wonder if we are squeezing too much of the putty out. If we don't tighten it extremely tight the washer under the tub is not pulled up tight underneath.
    It should be tightened down very tight...hard to describe...but there shouldn't be any movement or play in the drain shoe.

After you remove the excess putty, you should be able to see that the drain is tight against the tub. Also, try to keep the drain "centered" in the tub opening while tightening.

To answer the original question, yes I always use plumbers putty on drains/strainers, etc...

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Some sinks specify not to use plumbers putty because the oil will stain the material. They specify 100% silcone caulk. Follow directions, or no?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Lakee911
    Some sinks specify not to use plumbers putty because the oil will stain the material. They specify 100% silcone caulk. Follow directions, or no?

Jason
    You must be talking about marble...haven't installed one of those yet, but have installed toilets on marble floors using rubber seals.

The other supposed no no is plastic...I use plumbers putty and have never had a problem.