Drilling floor joists...

Users who are viewing this thread

Coach606

Reaction score
If you're going to be drilling floor joists, you pretty much need a right angle drill, don't you? Also, you have to use some extra caution, right as if the drill gets stuck it will spin the body and can hit you, right?

My understanding is that I should drill a hole 1/4 inch bigger than the pipe and then maybe spray some foam insulation in the hole.

Any comments or suggestions on drilling floor joists? I will stay within code.

Prashster

Reaction score
The code is based on the size of yr joists. You're limited in how close to the top and bottom and end you may drill. But, you have to check with your township office. Don't go by advice here on this. Once you drill, going back's a pain.

Assuming your location is permissible, then I would drill slightly larger and foam insulate. The insulation will prevent bugs and heat loss and provide support and shock absorbtion between the pipe n joist.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Drills

Yes, you'll probably need a right-angle drill. Yes, if the hole saw binds, the drill will spin and can do serious damage to you. With a right-angle drill, it's a little better, since you've got the longer arm of the drill to resist the drill's motion. The larger the hole, the bigger the problem. You have to use very light pressure on the hole saw and be careful to keep the axis of the saw perpendicular to the surface of the joist. If it's a multi-speed drill, I use the high-speed setting, since it delivers less torque, but will cut fine even with low pressure. As soon as the pilot drill breaks through, start cutting from the back side. Use a sharp hole saw. Wear gloves. Be patient. Good luck.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can get a right-angle attachment for a regular drill. Harbor Freight among others have them and they are inexpensive. They are also very handy for that once-in-awhile-screw that is in an impossible location, so worth while having one. Otherwise, rent a right angle drill, they're too expensive to buy unless you are "in the business".

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
drilling joists

Use a RT angle drill and self- feeding bits.According to the IPC the rule that is used is 1/3rd the depth of the joist,example2x8 joist you can drill 2+3/8" It is done all the time in the real world as they say,the one joist that that you may have to drill for the 3" pipe you can brace and support that joist by boxing or heading it with framing lumber perpendicular to the hole ,that goe s for the smaller holes if you are concerned,also check out E-B.. they have excellant used tools,milwaukee rt.angle drill+ self-feeding bits,it may be worth the investmant,after this project is completed your services will be in demand.

Coach606

Reaction score
Thanks everyone...

I'm in good shape on the joists. Thanks everyone.

I'm still waiting for the zoning variance, decision is coming next week. Shouldn't be a big thing, but you never know. So project is coming up in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks to everyone's help I'm really feeling prepared. I was practicing sweating some pipes today and I've got the dwv plan all laid out. I'm looking forward to getting started.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks