How tight is tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

rmunk

Reaction score
I just replaced some water pipes, copper, and have a few questions and leaks.

How tight should brass fittings (flex hose from water heater to out let pipe) using plumber tape be?

Also which is better, plumber tape or putty?

Bob

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tight

If they are the common type of pipes, you do not need any tape or compound on them. They seal with the washers inside the nuts. I seldom use tape and others use it all the time. It is a personal preference as to which is better.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Teflon Tape can cause leaks

I'm with hj on this.

Sometimes I think my job as a plumber is to remove all of the Teflon Tape that is causing leaks in homeowners plumbing.
The hardware store "expert" sends the homeowner home with rolls of Teflon Tape and says "Good Luck!".

McClendon Hardware even put an ad in the paper that said to use Teflon Tape on flexible stainless connectors for lavs and toilets. I still have the ad on my desk for a good laugh.

His luck would have been better if he had read the instructions with the connectors, the ones that say no sealing compound is needed.

Water heater flexes come with rubber washers for sealing.
Flexible connectors for lavs and toilets have either rubber or fiber seals at the ends.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks