Help - Gould J10s

Users who are viewing this thread

dreyes731

Reaction score
We just bought a house with a shallow well sprinkle system on it, it has a Gould J10s pump, but it was cracked and not working. I replaced the pump with the same Gould J10s. my problem is when I disassemble the pressure switches wiring from my old pump, I did not mark where the blk and wht wiring goes, can you please tell me if im doing this right; black wiring on L1 and white wire on L2 and the green ground wire should aligned to the blk wiring on L1 for 115 volts?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
First, be sure that the pump is wired internally for 115 Volts. That size may be delivered with 230 Volt connections. The pump may be marked, and it is not diffucult to change if necessary. The instructions are also on page 37 of the PDF file link (page 35 of the printed manual).

The pressure switch wiring is on page 38 of the PDF file at the link below (page 36 of the printed manual). Check to see if your pump has the Square D pressure switch or the Furnas pressure switch. http://www.goulds.com/pdf/TTECHWP.pdf

The green ground wire should be connected to the metal box at either of the ground screws shown in the pictures. It doesn't matter which. It should not be connected to any of the switch terminals marked L1 or L2 or Line or Load.

The motor should be already connected to the Load terminals of the pressure switch. Your white and black wires should be connected to the L1 and L2 terminals adjacent to the Load terminal wires of the same colors. (Actually it makes no difference that the colors are matched but it looks better.)

dreyes731

Reaction score
Thanks for reply bob, I have a Furnas pressure switch, and the pump (which is Gould J10S Shallow pump) indicates that I have 1HP 115/230V, according to the pdf manual page 34, that pumps are pre-wired by HP; 1/2 hp are wired for 115V, 3/4 hp and up are wired for 230V at the factory. I guess I have to open the motor cover and adjust inside to 115V. Its dark here already, so I have to wait tomorrow to adjust it, thanks again

dreyes731

Reaction score
It is wired inside for 230V, so I wired it 115V. Now my new problem is priming the pump, is there a step by step instruction to priming the pump the right way?

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
You need to be able to fill the pump body as well as the suction line completely full of water.
I usually install a nipple with a tee on it right above the pump discharge port. This gives me a place to pour in the water. I pour water in until it's full, then I wait just a minute. Air will usually escape and the water level will drop. I then finish filling it up. The Goulds J10S also has a 1/8" pipe plug directly in front of the discharge port. Removing this plug while filling the pump up makes for a handy place for air to escape. Goulds pumps usually prime quickly once they're full.
Ron

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know the details of your setup, but you need to find the easiest way to get water into the pump and displace the air until the pump starts sucking water from the well.

It is customary to install a pump with a priming plug on the outlet into which you pour water; then leave the plug loose to let the air out.

You can prime it through either the suction or the discharge side. If the suction pipe is also full of water, it is easier to get it going. If you prime through the suction side that must be tightly closed whenever you start the pump.

If you have another water supply you could hook a hose to either the inlet side or outlet side and let water run through the pump as you start it. Don't try to pump against the pressure of the hose. Let the pump discharge at low pressure until it gets going good.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
If there's any way around it, though, try not to put a priming plug on the suction side of the pump. It makes for one more place to leak, which can damage the pump, especially a J10S.
Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks