(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: PVC coupling

Question PVC coupling

I need to cut into an existing 2 inch PVC pipe in order to put in a wye (drain line). This will then be concealed between the first and second floor. The problem is that there isn’t enough room (or give) in the existing pipe to slide on a coupling.

I have seen the “no-stop” PVC couplings, but how would you primer the coupling without it sticking. Also after sliding the coupling to its final location, wouldn’t it “squeegee” the glue all off to one side?

How about the rubber coupling with the stainless steel band? Can that be hidden between floors thereby rendering it inaccessible?

Also, I saw on http://www.mcmaster.com (search on part number 4880K306) a PVC union. Could this be used and concealed in between floors?

Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Edit... I added a picture of the PVC union
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zenman; 01-04-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Default PVC coupling

If you examine the way a that PVC coupling works, you will see your worries are taken care of. The union would work OK, too, but the slip couplings work very well. I have used them successfully with sprinkler lines that operate under pressure, so they would work just fine in a drain line and are much more forgiving for exact fit than a union, they are intended to go where you you have no slack to pull the two line ends together.

Default Deb

Is this a DWV fitting? Water PVC and DWV PVC are generally not interchangeable. How about a no hub coupling?
    I do not know why you are adding the wye, but if you are adding a fixture, make sure that you have vented and trapped it correctly.
    Deb
    The Pipewench

Smile

Thanks for the replies...

Originally my plan was to use a slip or no-stop PVC coupling, but was concerned about no being able to prime and glue it fast enough without it sticking to the pipe before it was in its final location.

The local big box stores (I know - cringe) don't seem to carry the no-stop PVC coupling, so I haven't had a chance to see how much clearance there was between the ID of the coupling and the OD of the pipe. I'll have to find a real plumbing supply that sells to "non-plumbers" or maybe somewhere online...

As for the no-hub coupling (rubber with stainless steel band) I wasn't sure if that could be in an inaccessible location.

Then I started doing some research and found the PVC union...

Oh and yes, all is vented and will be inspected. And unfortunately, our apparently overworked plumbing inspector doesn't like to give out any info, just pass or fail.