Utility room drain design

Users who are viewing this thread

Wally Pfautz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need to build a drain for a 2nd floor 3'x6' utility closet. The closet contains a condensing hot water heater and hydronic radiant distribution plumbing.

I'd like to make the whole closet floor into a sloped waterproof pan with a drain in the middle. Is there a recommended design for this?

Since it's just for emergency use, I imagine an adequate method would be to use thinset on top of the plywood deck to slope the floor to the drain, then top with a waterproof coating. Or should I go with a full up shower base type arrangement with a membrane?

Any suggestions on the design and specific floor drain type to use?

Thanks,
Hazel

Finnegan

Reaction score
I would give some thought to the trap design. I do not know what your heating season is, but that trap will likely go some time without receiving any water. In order to avoid losing your trap seal, you will need a self priming trap. Though, I have seen a new device that uses a sort of curled up tube that allows water to pass, but then curls back up to seal the trap. I forget what it is called, but perhaps someone else will know. I am not sure about this product's code acceptance status, but it seems useful for certain situations. As far as the deck, If you are going to take the time to do a mud deck, you might as well install a proper shower pan. That way you can just run a hose bib in the room right onto the floor.

George R

Reaction score
I have seen 2nd floor laundry closets with a 1 in deep galvanized sheet metal pan with a drain in the center. If it is just for emergency draining, the drain could be directed to a sump pump pit and wouldn't need a trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks