well pump cycles

Users who are viewing this thread

diverherb

Reaction score
Hi hope someone can help me with my problem. My supply pump to my house cycles on and off very quickly when ever any water outlet is opened. I assume that it should come on and stay on as long as I am running water. Mine will cycle about every 2 seconds on and off. This seems like it is hard on the pump. Almost forgot to mention the pump is equiped with a pumptrol relay which has 2 spring adjustments on the contacts. One large spring and one smaller spring. Thanks
Diverherb

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Turn off the pump, open a faucet until the water stops running (my guess is that will be very quickly), then take a tire pressure gauge and check the pressure on your bladder tank. My guess is you'll find two things: water in the valve, and no pressure in the tank. If you are lucky, you won't find water. Take a tire pump and pump up (or try) the tank to 2# less than the normal turn-on point for the pump. Turn the pump back on and see if it is any better.

You probably need a new bladder tank. Figure it out soon, or you'll be buying a new pump and control relay too.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cold water faucet, as near the tank as possible but above your water heater, must remain open while you are putting air in the tank. You will be displacing all of the water that shouldn't be in the tank.

The water heater point is that it is conceivable, though not likely, that you could have an arrangement whereby the water could be siphoned out of the water heater.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes, the tank is supposed to be empty of water when checking/setting the air pressure. So it's best to shut off the water to the house after the tank, and then drain the tank. You can flush the tank of 'dirt' at the same time by allowing all water to drain and then turn on the power to the pump for 5 seconds and shut it off watching the water drain from the tank and looking for the dirtiest water at the end of the flow; repeat until you get as little dirt as possible just as the water stops flowing from the drain (garden hose at floor level).

Otherwise the water will displace air and the tank will not have sufficient air (volume) to protect the 'bladder' from over flexing; the prime cause of bladder failure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks