Drain for the tub - stiffen up the mechanism

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've lived with this for awhile, but was wondering if there is an easy fix...

I have a (I think) Mountain INdustries tub drain and overflow kit. It is a cable operated knob that pops up the stopper. This is a deep tub, and if the water is higher than say 4", the drain sucks the stopper back down. The system has a lever that raises the stopper which is not attached. I just pull it out and let the tub drain, but it would be nice if it had enough friction to stay up on its own when draining the tub. I've got the "up" position raised as far as I can get it and still allow the thing to lower and seal, but this used to be a toilet drain, with adapters to get the appropriate trap size, sits real close to the main stack, and really drains.

Any thoughts on how to adjust this (if it is possible) so there is a little more friction in the system?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
If this is the cable operated drain whereby the overflow plate serves like a knob that you turn.........you might be able to disassemble that up at the overflow and take a pair of channel locks and compress the shaft that works as the pivot on the plate and sort of crimp that connection a little bit to tighten up the movement/play of the assembly.

Kinda the same way you would slightly crimp a copper connection before soldering to keep the joint setup in place or keep a pipe from falling out.

George R

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Kinda the same way you would slightly crimp a copper connection before soldering to keep the joint setup in place or keep a pipe from falling out.

That's a good tip RUGGED for us DIYers. I usually end up supporting a joint with temporary wiring. What do you crimp with?

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
8888.jpg

I'm getting buried with this tool when I die. It is a cobra pliers and you either love them or hate them. Most don't know how to use the push pin to set the jaw dimensions.

I have a set of 3 ordered off of a Snap-on truck that I should get next week. I've had mine for 7 years and the first one I saw......I had to have it. And if it goes missing it feels like I've lost my wallet or dog.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks