Tub addition

Users who are viewing this thread

Kyle

Reaction score
Our master bed bath came with a shower only. After tearing out the entire bathroom Ive set in the new jacuzzi and am eyeing up the plumbing. The easiest approach I can see is to raise the jacuzzi up to clear a drain pipe right angled along the top of the subfloor, right angled along the wall and then y-piped into the existing shower p-trap. The tub surround will easily allow this setup and Ill save cutting up subfloor that I just nailed down fresh.

Just wondered if theres any problem with this set up since the jacuzzi wont have its own p-trap and will have a pretty long horizontal drain maybe 8 ft total with two or three turns in it attaching above the shower p-trap. :rolleyes:

The shower drain is about 2" and is cast iron in this "older" home - 29 yrs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, im in no rush to start. Thanks!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not to code, and you'd probably end up with a real mess you couldn't clean out the drain if it became necessary. Think you are going to have to tear some things back out. The best solution will depend on where the existing stack is, and where you can run the vent.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Going back and wying in before the shower vent is what needs to happen.

Just get a concrete saw cutter out there to cut the slab.

I've seen a home with a tub and shower tied together without proper venting.
Every time he drained his big a** tub, a bunch of gooey black stuff filled the shower pan.

Kyle

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!
I can see the shower vent going up in the wall, I belive I can tye into it just before the shower.
Can it tye-in right next to the shower tye-in or do I need a few inches or how much?
Can I put the p-trap for the tub over near the tye-in to the vent? Or does it need to go in the floor right under the tub.... Thats the criticle part because as I said I just reinforced the floor there by the tub and its too nice to cut up.
I want to run a horizontal drain on top of the subfloor directly from the tub about 8 ft with two turns then drop it in to the subfloor with a p-trap and into the vent line over by the shower. Ill have to cut up that floor anyhow to tye-in and that section of floor has not been layered yet.

What do you think????

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
8' of pipe that will have soap scum, hairs, etc. sitting in it without the benefit of the trap to isolate it are not a nice thing. The smell after a short while will drive you out of the bathroom. You need to do this right...trap underneath the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks