Tips on Replacing Bathtub Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

bluesax

Reaction score
Hello folks,
This has probably been described before but I'm new in the neighborhood. I have an older house, 1962 and the fixtures on the bathtub/shower might be that old as well. In one of the tubs, the handle turns but nothing happens. The clear plastic round handle, the straight handle that controls water temp, even the plate behind. No water. So, I want to replace everything, both handles and the valve (mixet?). Is it an easy job? Do I need to turn off water to the house? Is the valve lubricated in anyway? Thanks for the help.

Name's James

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most tub valves do not have individual shutoffs, so yes, you will need to shut off the house water supply while you have things torn out.

A valve that old won't have the mandated safety features required - anti-scald feature (required if it also serves a shower, not if a tub only).

How easy will depend on if you can access the valve without tearing things up. You will need to be able to solder, since it is almost impossible to replace one fixture with another without soldering. Having the proper tools and knowledge to be able to do that may mean buying stuff you don't have.

Some places require a permit and inspection for doing this. This is often ignored, even when required. Getting caught can be expensive if something happens.

Sometimes, you can just replace the handles and the guts of an existing valve and return it to like new condition, so that may be an option. Try to see if there is a name on it, or post a picture so the pros can help out with that aspect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks