Leaking swivel joint on chrome trap

Users who are viewing this thread

King3244

Reaction score
I have just installed a new lav. with an exposed chome trap. The swivel joint is leaking very slowly and I have tightened it as much as I dare.

Can I use some plumbers putty on this joint or any other suggestions?

King

Finnegan

Reaction score
First, make sure the pipes are aligned and that the gasket is in place. Check to make sure the gasket is not deformed or defective. Next, try not tightening it quite so tight. Perhaps the gasket was squeezed out of the joint. You can try a little pipe dope or dish detergent to lubricate the threads.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Without seeing it, we cannot tell a whole lot about the problem or the solution, but when you assembled the trap did you put the rubber gasket between the two trap sections or under the slip nut?

King3244

Reaction score
Aaaaaahhhh...........no gasket supplied! Just to make certain, this is the swivel joint not the slip joint.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

The swivel joint will also have a gasket, unless it is a ground joint union, in which case you should use some pipe joint compound on the surfaces to minimize friction.

King3244

Reaction score
Thanks HJ...........the only gasket that came with this (in a sealed plastic bag) was for the slip joint gasket. I have dealt with plastic (abs) traps before and they all have no gaskets at the swivel but this is my first time with a chrome trap.........be gentel it is my first time :p. I will give the pipe joint compound a try.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

The question is whether the chrome trap has a tapered connection at the swivel joint like a plastic trap does. Very few brass traps have that type of swivel connection.

King3244

Reaction score
Okay I took this bad boy apart today and it does indeed have a bell on it.

I put some teflon tape on the bell and on the threads and that has done the trick. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks