tripped circut breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

royB

Reaction score
Well Pump tripped circut breaker

Last night I noticed weak water pressure, so went to the well house and discovered one of two circut breakers on the aux box for the pump controls had tripped. I flipped it back on, the pump came on but did not shut off and the needle on the pressure gage went past 100. So I tripped the breaker myself and drained the tank a bit to relieve some of the pressure. I also checked the pressure relief valve to see if it would function manually and it did. I opened the control box, and noticed that the start capacitor was leaking (this box has both start and run capacitors).

What do you folks think is the problem?
Should I replace both the pressure switch and the control box?
Could an aging pump (18yrs.) be responsible

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have several things that you should be sure are working.

Both the pressure switch and relief valve should probably have operated at less than 100 psi. I would get a new gauge as well as pressure switch. Neither should have been affected by the capacitor.

You could replace the well-head parts and see if it solves the problem, but 18 years is a long time for a pump.

Wear causing drag in the pump could cause overload that would trip the breakers. A clamp-on ammeter is great for checking out current in a pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Like Bob said, 18 years is a long time for a sub. The leaking cap should be replaced for sure. If it's not bad yet it will be very soon.

Another reason for leaking capacitors is waterlogged tanks. Is you motor cycling a lot?

bob...

royB

Reaction score
well pump tripped breaker

Thanks for the info gentlemen, I got a new pressure gage and switch. I also checked the pressure in the tank ( the type that has a bladder) it had 2lbs. So I charged it up to 38lbs. and ran the pump using the new gage and old switch and it seems to be working fine again. So I'm thinking that it must have been cycling alot and shorted out the capacitor and that tripped the breaker. I know the capacitor should still be replaced but I have no idea where to get one. I have located new control boxes on the web but only the kind that have a start capacitor but no run capacitor. I don't want to but could I subsitute one of those, if neccessary?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't substitute.

I don't know about Red Jacket, but Franklin has boxes for Capacitor Start Induction Run (CSIR) for $64.45 and Capacitor Start Capacitor Run (CSCR) for $95.75 at Grainger. Both for 3/4 HP.

Grainger has a bunch of 370 Volt and 440 Volt Run capacitors from 2 MFD to 55 MFD. Higher voltage than your is OK. A 7.5 MFD 370 Volt, Stock No 2GE78, is $5.56.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman

Make sure the nipple attaching the pressure switch to the pipe is not plugged. And if the pressure relief did not pop off at about 75 PSI, I would get a new one of those also. Bladder in tank may still br busted. Air doesn't usually get out other wise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks