(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Odd Taste from Water Softener

Default Odd Taste from Water Softener

I recently ran out of Brita water filters and started drinking un-filtered water. I noticed that the unfiltered water tasted terrible. Kind of metalic with an after-taste. I asked our neighbors if they had noticed a bad taste in their water, but they had not. After a bit of trouble shooting I narrowed the problem to the water softener. If I bypass the water softener the water tastes fine.

I know that water softeners can make water taste different, but this seems really bad; nearly undrinkable. Any ideas on causes or solutions?

The water softener was serviced about 2 years ago and was in good shape. Everything that I can see seems normal (water levels and salt levels).

Thanks for your help.

Taste is quite subjective, the vast majority of folks with a softener never notice any difference in the taste of their water. You could use a 1/4 cup of non scented bleach in a gallon of water poured down into the water in the salt tank and do a manual regeneration to sanitize the softener. You could clean the salt tank first.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Thanks for the tips Gary. I'll try them out and see if we get any improvement.