Caulk or Plumbers Putty for Sink Basket

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Do you guys use Plumbers Putty on Sink Baskets - Bathtub Drains, etc.
I have always used Plumbers Putty but maybe it's just me, but over time....it tends to seep out of the flange edges. I've noticed this primarily with our bathtub.

Is the *preferred* way of doing this these days is clear silicone caulk ?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If plumbers putty is used and the item installed right it should last a very long time. I have seen sinks that were 40 years old that haden't leaked using plumbers putty. What normaly causes failure is using to much putty.

Marsha

Reaction score
bathtub drain

It was mentioned that the problem with this is not proper tightening in the first place. Please tell me what proper tightening is. We installed a new two piece tub/shower unit (fiberglass). We installed the shoe elbow, rubber washer and shoe strainer with plumbers putty under the shoe strainer and no matter what we do is still leaks. How tight should it be? I wonder if we are squeezing too much of the putty out. If we don't tighten it extremely tight the washer under the tub is not pulled up tight underneath.

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
Marsha said:
It was mentioned that the problem with this is not proper tightening in the first place. Please tell me what proper tightening is. We installed a new two piece tub/shower unit (fiberglass). We installed the shoe elbow, rubber washer and shoe strainer with plumbers putty under the shoe strainer and no matter what we do is still leaks. How tight should it be? I wonder if we are squeezing too much of the putty out. If we don't tighten it extremely tight the washer under the tub is not pulled up tight underneath.

It should be tightened down very tight...hard to describe...but there shouldn't be any movement or play in the drain shoe.

After you remove the excess putty, you should be able to see that the drain is tight against the tub. Also, try to keep the drain "centered" in the tub opening while tightening.

To answer the original question, yes I always use plumbers putty on drains/strainers, etc...

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Some sinks specify not to use plumbers putty because the oil will stain the material. They specify 100% silcone caulk. Follow directions, or no?

Jason

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
Lakee911 said:
Some sinks specify not to use plumbers putty because the oil will stain the material. They specify 100% silcone caulk. Follow directions, or no?

Jason

You must be talking about marble...haven't installed one of those yet, but have installed toilets on marble floors using rubber seals.

The other supposed no no is plastic...I use plumbers putty and have never had a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks