stuck shutoff valve

Users who are viewing this thread

zeroweek

Reaction score
newbie here...

I have a cold water leak that I need to fix but the only shut off valve in the whole house (save for the water heater) is the main shut off valve. I can't turn it and before I break out the big wrench is there any damage that can be done by trying to force this old valve?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

zeroweek

Reaction score
thanks

do i need to contact my municipal water provider to shut off the water?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
valve

Yes, and if you do they may come and shut the water off at the street and when you are through inside you can call them back to turn it on.

Call them right away and ask them what there procedure is. I think it varies widely all over the country.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is why I advocate homeowners having a curb key to turn their own meter on/off. At least you are not having a flood that you can't stem. Cities usually don't want homeowners messing with the meter valve, but in my opinion, there are circumstances that justify it. When you do get the water off, install a good ball valve.

kubba

Reaction score
Hi guys..I have the same issue. The main valve is not moving. I just checked the cost of shutting OFF/ON from my city website it is $110.
Can I use WD-40 on the faucet thread and see if it helps.
Thanks..Kubba

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The problem is that it is probably a gate valve, and if the stem breaks, you may be stuck with the gate down ( water off ) and no way to get it open.

A plumber can replace the valve either using a freeze kit, or a Jomar Add-a-Valve, without turning off the city stop. Either will cost a LOT more than $110.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can use WD-40, but a better product might be PB Blaster. WD-40 is a lubricant and PB Blaster is a penetrating product. In my previous answer to the original question, I suggested having your own curb key. I stand by that answer, but I would point out that at least some cities do not want their citizens to have them. My city does not charge for this service, but you have to wait for them to come. I think the main problem cities have with DIYers having a curb key is possible damage to the meter. If you were to break their meter, you don't even want to think about the expense to replace it! So use care if you decide to get your own key. I first got my key after the main shut off valve broke completely off of the 1" copper supply line late one Saturday afternoon. It took the city emergency man over 30 minutes to arrive to shut the water off! Meanwhile, my basement was being flooded by a 1" pipe under 90 psi! Later when I had a broken cutoff valve on the irrigation side of my system, I was able to shut the water off while I dug it out and made the repair.

kubba

Reaction score
Thank you guys. Any mistake will probably lead to big $ waste.
I will consider getting a pro man to fix this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

The place where the valve is frozen is where you cannot spray ANYTHING. It may break as soon as you try to turn it, in which case it will be stuck in the ON position. IF it breaks when you get it shut off, it will not open again so you will not have water until it is replaced.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Many places don't want you to touch that curb stop.
If it breaks while they turn it, they dig it up and fix it...
If you break it, you pay them to din it up and fix it...
I don't know how many truck loads of guys they'll bring in to stand around the hole to watch but really, do you want to be the one footing the bill.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just a thought...

I’m probably missing something here on all of the posts here, but here in Phoenix, most of the homes have a gate or ball valve at the house. Then there is a water meter out by the street that has shut off valve in the same box with the meter. I bought a water key at Home Depot that I have had no problem turning off about 99 percent of the homes I work on, (I hate touching the gate valves, so I shut off the water at the meter).
Zerroweek, have you even tried to turn off the valve at the meter? You will know with just a little bit of force, if it’s going to operate or not.

Good luck for sure,

Mike

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Thank you guys. Any mistake will probably lead to big $ waste.
I will consider getting a pro man to fix this.

While you have the plumber there and the water is off I suggest that you you cycle all the valves in the house, then check for leaks when the main is back on and before you let him leave. Leaks around the stem and nut can usually be fixed by tightening the packing nut (only enough to stop the leak).

The reason is that all valves should be cycled at least once/ year to prevent seizing up by corrosion or deposition. This is apparently what happened to both valves that got you to this point. By getting this into your maintenance schedule you might prevent the problem from happening again.

kubba

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I turned the main faucet to close it and I put some force and it was turnnign fine until it was hard to move then I checked the water and it was not closed then I put some extra force carfuly then it shuts off. Then I kept on left and right to loosen it and then I left it on. I noticed that you need to turn a bit to open it completly.

Now I can shut it off so I can fix the other faucet which is not closing at all.It controls the outside faucet for winter time.I asked the guys in home depote and they said I can open it a part and get some washers to fix it.
Thank you guys..
Regards.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks