(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toto Aquia - Small Water Surface Area

Default Toto Aquia - Small Water Surface Area

Looking for anyone who has had experience using this toilet.

I like that this toilet has dual flush capacity, attractive styling, a reasonable price and good flushing capacity.

However, I am concerned that it seems to have a very small water surface area. I have read that toilets with a low water surface area can require very frequent cleaning and have odor problems.

The application will be in a residential highrise apartment building to replace 1960's era 1.6 gpf toilets.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Lawrence
    Last edited by Terry; 06-18-2006 at 12:23 AM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Aquia, like most dual flush toilets, has a small but deep enough water spot.
    Bowl wash is from the rim, and covers the bowl quite well.
    The trapway is 2-5/8"

The flush is fairly quiet and quick.
    Last edited by Reader Review; 10-27-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

FWIW, I doubt the toilets from the 1960's were 1.6 gallon...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by lks
    Looking for anyone who has had experience using this toilet.

I like that this toilet has dual flush capacity, attractive styling, a reasonable price and good flushing capacity.

However, I am concerned that it seems to have a very small water surface area. I have read that toilets with a low water surface area can require very frequent cleaning and have odor problems.

The application will be in a residential highrise apartment building to replace 1960's era 1.6 gpf toilets.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Lawrence
    I had all the same fears--I read all the same stuff you did. I've had mine about 3 months now. You will not have the problems you are reading about
    with a TOTO AQUIA. You can PM me for further details if you wish.

The bowl is actually "funnel shaped"

Default Sorry for the typo

The existing toilets are of cause 3.5 gpf not 1.6 gpf as originally posted.

Lawrence.

P.S Thanks for the replies

Check out this thread:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ight=australia

and this one:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ght=aquia+seat

An Toto Pacifica owner recently posted her experience with that toilet and its seat. Seems Toto seats tend to make the usuer sit further back than we're accustomed to, so they can better hit the smaller target. Seems to me the Toto engineers thought this one through pretty well.

TOTO Pacifica CST808
    Last edited by Terry; 03-21-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    Check out this thread:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ight=australia

and this one:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ght=aquia+seat

An Toto Pacifica owner recently posted her experience with that toilet and its seat. Seems Toto seats tend to make the usuer sit further back than we're accustomed to, so they can better hit the smaller target. Seems to me the Toto engineers thought this one through pretty well.
    It actually orients your lower torso more forward Steve.
    It's not entirely easy to explain. It IS an adjustment.....not
    a difficult adjustment.
    The first sensation is "this is too small for me". It's not. As Terry says make sure your boot is in the saddle (or something like that).

Bottom line: The modified seat is partially responsible for why no smearing occurs even with a much smaller water spot.

I will speculate this however: A truly obese person may not take well to the TOTO AQUIA adjustment in it's present incarnation imo. I could be wrong about that...but I doubt it. The Aquia seat keeps your aim true.

Do NOT buy this toilet without the seat it generally comes with.

Read why the TOTO AQUIA won the silver award from the 2006 architectural design journal here:
    http://tinyurl.com/l8lql

It's the first toilet that will engage a lot of people to try dual flush and we all win when that happens.

BTW my water bill is at an all time Low & seasonal low after installation since I've lived in this home. Which is also easier on my new septic tank too. Another win-win.
    Last edited by Mike50; 06-18-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike50
    a difficult adjustment.

Thanks for the clarification. I sit corrected...

Sure. More important to not lose sight of the end result of this concept:

"By installing the elegant Aquia, an average family of four could save up to 7,000 gallons of water each year beyond that already saved by a standard 1.6 gpf toilet."
    Design Journal Magazine

Very few (well designed-affordable) appliances can make the claim of an immediate dramatic positive environmental impact.

And as I have mentioned a couple months back--I spoke with an executive at TOTO and they are so sure about this low flush concept that they will release another low GPF Drake in the near future. (if it's not out already)
    Which was unnamed at that time BTW.
    Last edited by Mike50; 06-20-2006 at 07:06 AM.

Sure. More important to not lose sight of the end result of this concept:

[

Oh, the puns are flying now...

a difficult adjustment.
    The first sensation is "this is too small for me". It's not. As Terry says make ...
    We are pretty close to installing the Aquia I bought a few months ago. This now has me concerned. I bought the seat from Home Depot. Are you saying that you must buy a Toto seat if you don't want a lot of smearing???

I didn't buy Toto because I didn't care for plastic seats that you could break if you stood on to change a light bulb. I didn't buy their brown wooden seat because (if I remember correctly) it cost as much as the toilet.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A Toto seat is much more shaped than many other brands...it kind of forces you to sit in a specific place. It's not that you can't sit there with other brands, it's that you might find yourself comfortable in other than that sweet spot. The soft-close feature is neat. They do have several series - the commercial grade ones are more substantial. Get a ladder or step-stool when changing the bulb!
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by inquirer22
    We are pretty close to installing the Aquia I bought a few months ago. This now has me concerned. I bought the seat from Home Depot. Are you saying that you must buy a Toto seat if you don't want a lot of smearing???
    The soft close seat comes with the toilet.
    I do not have the answer to that question---good luck finding someone who does. I AM saying that smearing does not occur as some fear--and the seat is an integral part of the design that makes that possible.

I didn't buy Toto because I didn't care for plastic seats that you could break if you stood on to change a light bulb. I didn't buy their brown wooden seat because (if I remember correctly) it cost as much as the toilet.
    I would not stand on that TOTO soft close seat toilet seat. You could possibly screw up the internal mechanism that allows the "soft close".
    It's not a simple hinge.

Look.......this is new technology/engineering. Minor adjustments in your old habits are required. (very minor) IE-sitting forward and erect.

With any NEW technology--if you don't have the temperment to make small changes in behaviour----then don't experiment with newer technology imo.
    It's not for everyone.

The seat didn't come with the toilet. It was a seperate purchase that I opted not to buy -- I simply wasn't impressed.

So again my question is, will smearing be a problem without a Toto seat?

The seat didn't come with the toilet. It was a seperate purchase that I opted not to buy -- I simply wasn't impressed.

So again my question is, will smearing be a problem without a Toto seat?
    How could anyone possibly answer that question inquirer? You can ask Terry.....but I believe most people buy the item which is sold with the TOTO seat designed for the Aquia.

You might want to rethink this and consider Plan "B'. Lots of great toilets that are stylish.
    Look at the TOTO Pacifica.

I would not stand on that toilet to change bulbs. It has a small footprint.
    Last edited by Mike50; 06-30-2006 at 05:52 AM.