pipe noise

Users who are viewing this thread

joew62

Reaction score
When my sprinkler system kicks on, it rattles the pipes in my house. The pipes to the water heater vibrate. How can I fix this problem?
Thanks, Joe

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Joe, you haven't given us much information to go on. Where and how does the sprinkler system tee from the main supply line? Have you tried anchoring the pipes? What's happening is when the controller operates a valve, the sudden closure causes the pressure to vibrate the pipes. Did you install a backflow preventor? These are required when you have a cross connection with domestic water. Was your system professionally designed or is it something you stuck together? Give us something. Photos would be nice.

joew62

Reaction score
No photos. The manifold to the sprinkler system is next to the water meter. I assume they tee right there.
I don't know of any pipes that connect to the sprinkler and the house too.
It's a professional job, I did add 2 stations to the existing 4, and we don't remember hearing this noise before. It sounds like a train goin' thru the house, so I think that we would remember. And, it's not just when another valve starts up, it's consant. Could the pressure be to high? Could the intake valve be bad?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Joe

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is puzzling! Since it was a professional job, I would hope that they installed a backflow preventor where they teed to the controller. I really don't have any more ideas, hopefully there will be some others that can add their thoughts. You might want to contact the professionals that installed the system and get their take on this.

atlmichelle

Reaction score
OK, I have pretty much the same problem as joew62, only with an even stranger twist.....it's my NEIGHBOR who gets the noisy pipes whenever our sprinkler system is running! Our system was recently professionally installed, but the installer says he is baffled as well. I will ask him about a backflow preventor. Is there a way we can tell by looking if this has been done?

Thanks in advance for any help.

lcombs

Reaction score
Same problem

My problem is the same as above except I am the neighbor. Around 4 in the morning his sprinklers come on and I hear a constant vibration , it gets louder as each station changes. I read the article on air in the system, that may work but I have to get my neighbor to cooperate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks