Quick Question - PCV or ABS to existing copper pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

EricaC

Reaction score
I think this is a simple question, but I am installing a new shower as part of a bathroom remodel. The drain pipe that is currently in place is 2" copper. The shower that I'm wanting to purchase has a choice of drain material - ABS or PVC. Will one be easier / better / cheaper to make the transition to copper?

Thanks!
-Erica

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
copper to pvc

proflex.jpg

pvc would be the choice of most pro's,the transition coupling should be a mission band coupling or no-hub coupling that is designed for 2"copper by 2" pvc/cast iron.Copper pipe has a slightly smaller ID than pvc and therefore the transition coupling is thicker for the copper side of the coupling.Cheaper is not always better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes PVC.

While the copper does have a smaller ID it is coppers smaller OD that is the problem and requires a specificly sized banded coupling that is made to go from copper to PVC. They can be had at any good plumbing supply house.

mission_ck22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since the copper has smaller ID, does PVC to copper violate the "never larger to smaller" practice, or does that apply only for changes in nominal size?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No that wouldn't apply as 2" copper is 1.98" ID and 2.125" OD. . The only time the larger to smaller applys is when changing nominal sizes, like you said, like 4"-3" or 2"-1.5". 2" PVC DWV is 2.375 OD .

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think PVC is any better that ABS, some areas don't have ABS, some use a lot of it. Either one will work just fine as long as the transition is done correctly.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I think PVC is used more and is readly avaliable in more places.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
geniescience said:
they are both among the strongest plastics invented yet. They are both in the same family in terms of their composition too. Very similar. I have never seen a discussion that pointed out any big differences.

ABS is black and PVC is white! :)

I don't think ABS is UV resistent, but I could be wrong. I remeber Dad replacing the sunlight-exposed ABS plastic with PVC on our swimming pool when I was a kid. It had turned kind of gray and brittle.

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
pvc to copper

sorry a may have added to some confusion by saying ID on the copper pipe,really meant OD as another poster clarified about the need for the correct transition coupling for copper to pvc.You are not changing that much pipe for a shower drain,whats more important is the shower drain strainer assembly,glued or no caulk drain,p-trap+transition coupling.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're not changing "much". But, you are changing slightly and you are changing materials. You can't solvent glue PVC or ABS to copper, you must use a fitting designed for the purpose. Banded couplings will do this properly and quite easily.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks