How's black?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sanz

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with black toilets or pedestal sinks? Figure they won't show "dirt" as much as the white, but what about dust. And if it gets a chip, is it white or is the color all the way through the porcelain?

Sanz

Reaction score
Ha...good point! Yep..have a black car now....won't ever buy another.

But on the other hand...this is for the interior of the house. Think it would be similar?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When I lived in Mass. I had a customer years ago that had a mirrored 1/2 bathroom....Walls, floor, ceiling, door...... with black pedistal sink and toilet. It was the strangest bathroom I have ever seen/been in.

Same lady had 1100 sq. ft. of marble floor insatalled, didn't like the finish and had it buffed/polished......then decided she didn't like the color and had it all ripped out and done over.

She also would also complain about the cost of heating her dyed stamped driveway to melt the snow, $1,200.00 a year and that was back in the early 80s.

Last edited:
D

dc_homeplumber

Black bath fixtures look great and will continue to look great if you wipe them down daily and after each use. They're extremely prone to water spotting and evidence of lime and calcium build-up shows immediately, not to mention any dust in the room. Keeping the sink dry and frequent use of an acidic bowl cleaner will keep them pretty.

The color is not all the way through. They're white on the inside.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
black

Black fixtures are an ego trip, and you should have a maid service to keep them clean. They will develop calcium spots and rings in about a minute, and you will see them instantly. They are about the hardest color to keep looking nice.

mrf

Reaction score
Black fixtures. etc.

You'll think I'm off the wall on this one, but......
My father, who was a physician and who had colon cancer once and fortunately caught it early enough to survive it, advised us to only use white toilet paper for the same reason I will suggest you consider both white paper and white toilets - You will get a heads up if you have blood in your stool or urine. (Incidentally, black tarry stool, as I understand it, is also a sign of bleeding, but from a different location in the intestines.)
Could save, or prolong your life. Could just be hemmorroids, but could be Cancer, bladder/prostate problem, etc. Wouldn't you want to know?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
black

As for black cars, my first several cars were all black. My future wife said her family thought I was some gangster when I went to visit them. They had seen too many movies where the bad guys all drove big black cars. In those days black cars were basically hand picked because the panels had to almost perfect to not show ripples when light hit them.

BSwanson

Reaction score
Black Sinks

All the folks I know with intense colors in the bath or kitchen fall out of love with them in a few years. Black, and other dark colors, do show spots if not polished each time they are used. How about picking strong colors for the walls and towels? They are easy to change....

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Toilets and sinks are filthy. I like to know what's going on in there. :D
It's all white over here.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks