Kitchen sink drain outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

tonocats

Reaction score
My kitchen sink wall drain outlet sits much higher than the trap outlet can connect to in a straight run as it should. In order to connect to the wall outlet, many turns and connections are necessary to make the two meet. I suspect it sits high because at the time this home was built in 1947, garbage disposals were not the norm and in that case, the sink outlet would have lined up to the wall. A garbage disposal was added before I moved in but I've noticed the sink never drains on its own unless the disposal is run to force the water out. Is there a solution to make this connection more efficient? The wall outlet is galvanized pipe but everything up to that point is pvc parts.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not be a wiseacre, but water won't run up hill no matter how many fittings you use. The only solution is to open the wall and lower the tee. This means cutting the pipe. You can transition from galvanized to PVC where you cut the pipe by using a banded coupler so you won't have to cut and thread pipe.

Finnegan

Reaction score
It sounds more complex than it probably really is. I say probably because you never know what you will find in a wall until you actually start cutting. However, If your trap arm fits into a galvanized branch line, you should be able to cut in a new sanitary t with banded couplings without too much trouble. Otherwise, get rid of the disposer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks