Installation of one piece unit

Users who are viewing this thread

JNeely61805

Reaction score
This is a remodel job.
We have completely gutted out our secondary (childrens) bathroom to the studs on 3 walls and knocked out the entry wall completely. We are trying to install a one piece tub / shower combination.
Measurements from stud to stud are 60". Is it unrealistic to expect to get this unit set into place with the existing studs not having to be cut out?
This is the third time in as many years that we are having to work on this bathroom. Before, it had a standard tub with ceramic tile - but after having to redo the tile twice now we decided to go with a one piece unit and a complete remodel to avoid any future water leakage.
It has already turned into a much bigger project than initially expected - but I think the one piece is the way to go with three children sharing this bathroom.
I am waiting for a plumber to call me back about doing an inspection and possibly giving an estimate to finish the job.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
You can put a one piece enclosure in but, think about this, you still have the one place water can leak through the floor and that's when water gets out and over the apron side when the shower is in use.

JNeely61805

Reaction score
As for my comment on 'avoid any future water leakage' - I realize that there will still be potential. I already have an access panel on the fixture side through the closet in the other room. With three boys there is always going to be water getting on the floor from showering - I haven't quite trained them to be sure the curtain is closed good from side to side.

I just figure the one piece would be the way to go - considering the high use of the bathroom.

I had one plumbing company call me and say that they do not set these units into place?!?! If a plumber doesn't set these units, who does?

We already have the unit in the house (that is how we discovered having to completely remove the entry wall into the bathroom). Now it is just a matter of backing the unit all the way into the bathroom, setting it and hooking up the plumbing.

Any suggestions on who to call for the final installation?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They don't apparantly want to manhandle the thing into final position. Since the walls are open, once in position, they should be able to make all of the connections. Note, the instructions for setting the thing in place probably list setting it in a support bed of something is optional...think twice about that being optional. It will last much longer and feel much more substantial if you bed the thing in something. WIthout the full bed support, microfractures in the material will happen...usually won't cause leaks, but it will look and feel old before its time with crazing on the bottom.

JNeely61805

Reaction score
I figured as much on that. My husband and I fought with it just getting it in the house - the fiberglass or whatever it is on the back and sides have torn my hands up - time to invest in some gloves. :)
At first the remodel was fun - until it came to this tub / shower combo.... but I am determined.

Note: The walls are only open inside the bathroom to the studs - not all the way through to the rooms on the other sides and the back wall is the exterior, which is brick. We will still have to maneuver this huge, heavy thing between all the studs to the back wall.

As far as instructions - the only ones were basically for new construction and did not say anything about a support bed. We have a concrete foundation. What suggestions would you offer in this regard - Support Bed?

I want to do it right the first time. Any suggestions and / or advice would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Take a look at the bottom of the thing. Some come with a full, flat support system under there. Most only come with a few ribs to support the bottom of the tub. If the thing is not in a crate, take your shoes off and step into the thing. See if you can feel any flex. If you can, then support will help. Basically if you mix up some mortar, throw it on the floor before you set it in place, then smush the assembly down so it is level, it will fill in all of the nooks and crannies and once set, prevent it from flexing and make it last longer. You can use various things to do this. The pros will have their favorites and might chime in.

Make sure you can get it in place first - you wouldn't want a pile of cured concrete stuff in the hole.

A low-expansion polyurethane foam would help, but not be as good. Don't do this until you can fill it with water first, or you might end up floating it away.

Serg

Reaction score
"low-expansion polyurethane foam"

Where would I get "low-expansion polyurethane foam"? Is there a particular brand that I should be looking for?

JNeely61805

Reaction score
Just an update

Just wanted to let you know that we finally got the unit in place.

We never could find a plumbing company who sets these units and all the bathroom remodelers I spoke with said they were booked up for months - so with much determination, my husband and I finally got it there.

We are still taking our time on finishing the bathroom (and doing it right the first time hopefully :rolleyes: ) It has only been a month - so not too bad considering I only have a few hours in the evenings to work on it.

So far the only other snag since has been with the drain - but we bought another drain that is longer in the thread area that we are going to try this weekend.

It was a relief to finally have all the drywall up - and I'm almost finished with the mudding / taping process. Then I just have to decide on how to finish the walls.

BTW - We are going to use a foam insulation under the tub through the access panel once we are in the finishing stages. By the time we finally got the unit backed in and saw that it fit - neither of us wanted to take it all the way back out to try to put mortar under it. The foam insulation should work fine for support - I have not felt any flex when I step into the tub (and I weigh 100 and plenty :p ) - but just as a precautionary measure - it won't hurt!

Thank you for your input. I have found a lot of useful information on this site. I'm sure I will have many questions in the future also ;)

Josie from Texas

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Before you foam it, make sure to fill the tub with water first. That will help keep it from deforming when the foam expands - it will tend to force the excess out to the sides rather than up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks