What is this extra pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I recently repaired a leak in the underground pipe that leads to my bladder tank. When I dug down to it, I noticed that there are actually two pipes going from my well pump into my house. One goes to the bladder tank. The other goes into my basement through the foundation, but it is not connected to anything and it is not capped off. Should I remove the pipe that does not connect to anything, or is it needed for air flow?.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It is either a pipe leading to an outside yard hydrant or similar or it's an old well line that developed a leak and rather than find and fix it they just replaced the line a abandoned the old one in place.

Thats my guess. Most likely and old line. It is definately not for air.

Rburt5

Reaction score
Extra pipe

I agree that it looks more like an old line that was replaced. Should I cap it off and remove it? If so, should I cap it off right at the vertical pipe that goes down to the well (and remove the old pipe), or should I leave it how it is?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pipe isn't really causing any problem, so why not just cut it off as much as possible and seal it up with a tube of silicone caulk in both ends.

V

vaplumber

rburt5 said:
I recently repaired a leak in the underground pipe that leads to my bladder tank. When I dug down to it, I noticed that there are actually two pipes going from my well pump into my house. One goes to the bladder tank. The other goes into my basement through the foundation, but it is not connected to anything and it is not capped off. Should I remove the pipe that does not connect to anything, or is it needed for air flow?.

>>>Sounds like somebody has replaced your well line in the past, and abandoned the old line. We do this all the time, as it is much cheaper and easier than finding and repairing the leak. Cap it off or plug it where it comes through your foundation wall to keep rodents from using it, and ignore it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks