Advice on Wood Flooring

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In my quest to be carpet-less I think Im going to use wood flooring for the main living room. Three concerns: 2 large dogs/potential wood damage from nails (2) cost and (3) ease of installation.

I'd also really prefer a product that can be removed/tiles replaced easily.

I mailed away for a new product I like alot but it's way out of my price range. FYI: http://www.puzzlefloor.com/

Id like to avoid strong adhesives---float it...
and not mess up the concrete slab as I might acid stain it in the future.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Find a product that has a high aluminum oxide content in the finish. Don't spec a high gloss, get a matt finish. The aluminum oxide is very hard and the matt finish won't show scratches that do occur as easily. For my home, I chose a product by Kahrs. Not the cheapest, or the most expensive. Not sure about the alO2 in the finish, though.

Prashster

Reaction score
You have 3 choices:

Real wood: not that hard to install; durable. Install only if no moisture. You can float or nail it. Rent yr equipment. Cost: $$$, Difficulty: $$$, Durab: $$$

Vinyl: not that hard to install. Gotta have a wicked flat underlayment. Lays down w/ adhesive. Gotta roll 100lb on top. They make vinyl 'planks' that look remarkably like real wood (read, not cheesy). HD Expo has a good selection. Check out Antico. I like how it wears. I'm doing this in my basement. Cost: $$, Difficulty: $$. Durab: $$

Laminate: floats. Easiest to install. I'd go w/ Armstrong. Get a prod w/ individual planks and not 'sheets' that combine multiple planks. Else, the seams are too symmetric over large space; looks fake IMHO. Cost: $, Difficulty: $. Don't install where wet unless u glue.

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
If you do real wood, do all your coats of oil poly high gloss. It's the most durable...more coats the better. Do your last coat in satin or matte or whatever you like. You may need to screen it in a few years if your dogs are scuffing it up. Keep their nails trimmed and filed (rounded)!

Jason

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Great stuff, Thanks. I will start pricing this material at big box. More floor maintainence? Aww geesh. I've already got 4 rooms of saltillo tile to re-seal every couple years.
anything is better than carpet however imo.

The dogs nails stay naturally trimmed as they are running around on desert sand/pebbles most of the day. If they aren't scratching the Mexican saltillo (soft tile) then the wood should be OK.

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
If yr gonna do wood, I'd do a prefinished one. Anything else is just too much work unless you like to do it.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Kahrs only does wood flooring since the 1850's. They invented the original floating floor locking plank system that has been copied by many people. They make nice stuff BUT they don't sell online - they pull the franchise; you can only buy it from a retailer, so that narrows your choices. Check out www.lumberliquidators.com. I've heard some good things about some of their stuff (no personal experience). If you are lucky, you've got one nearby, so you won't have to pay shipping.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Kahrs only does wood flooring since the 1850's. They invented the original floating floor locking plank system that has been copied by many people. They make nice stuff BUT they don't sell online - they pull the franchise; you can only buy it from a retailer, so that narrows your choices. Check out www.lumberliquidators.com. I've heard some good things about some of their stuff (no personal experience). If you are lucky, you've got one nearby, so you won't have to pay shipping.

At those prices this project just went from #4 on my list to #1. I always thought you had to spend around 5 bucks per foot for this. good news.
They have a store an hour away.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Very well done website at Lumber liquidators. Thank you Jim.
So...whats the deal with "Laminate" that says 7mm for example.
It's real wood veneer with poly laminate coating?

what the hell is that for 1.69 per foot....???
I need a low maintainence floor covering. But I dont want it to look lousy with the same wood print.
And if my desert dogs piss on the floor I dont want it to be a refinishing disaster.

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy online unless you can see it in person first. "Looks lousy" is subjective. Thicker is definitely better in lam, though.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
"Laminate" is what I don't want. It is a glued on photograph of wood. Bamboo looks good to me so far.
It's very hard. I have experience wood working with it.
1.99 sq. ft. bamboo will work fine.

If I was looking for a photo of wood flooring I'd go to the linoleum aisle of big box. I'd like a little lumber from lumber liquidators. ;)

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I considered bamboo when I redid the floors on my main floor. Ended up with red oak, though. With the bamboo, you have (maybe) many choices, edge grain (no rings visible), flat (rings pressed flat), natural, flamed (think dark toast). Considering bamboo can grow several feet per day, it is a neat renewable resource.

If you wanted real wood in a floating floor, what you are looking for is usually called engineered wood flooring. It is typically 3-layers with the top, bottom, and sometimes the middle layer made of wood. The stuff I have is 7mm, but it has a sliced layer (like a plank, not rotary cut like plywood) layer on the top, HDF middle (actually makes it harder than oak solid planks), and pine bottom layer. When you snap the stuff together, you cannot feel the joint at all.

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
I considered bamboo when I redid the floors on my main floor. Ended up with red oak, though. With the bamboo, you have (maybe) many choices, edge grain (no rings visible), flat (rings pressed flat), natural, flamed (think dark toast). Considering bamboo can grow several feet per day, it is a neat renewable resource.

If you wanted real wood in a floating floor, what you are looking for is usually called engineered wood flooring. It is typically 3-layers with the top, bottom, and sometimes the middle layer made of wood. The stuff I have is 7mm, but it has a sliced layer (like a plank, not rotary cut like plywood) layer on the top, HDF middle (actually makes it harder than oak solid planks), and pine bottom layer. When you snap the stuff together, you cannot feel the joint at all.

It sure is a renewable/green product. I have some rare black bamboo potted and it can grow 8 inches per day in season that I use as ornamental screens. Flaws are fine with me-I don't care for uniform look at all. Im probably going to have to glue it @1.99 per foot.
I noticed the dark bamboo is back ordered...

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The flat strips vs the edge sandwich is a personal preference thing...although the edge strips might be harder, I'm not sure. It is more consistant. I prefer the lighter color, so the flamed stuff being out of stock wouldn't be a factor. Most of the bamboo cutting boards I see are edge glued vs slat glued.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
The flat strips vs the edge sandwich is a personal preference thing...although the edge strips might be harder, I'm not sure. It is more consistant. I prefer the lighter color, so the flamed stuff being out of stock wouldn't be a factor. Most of the bamboo cutting boards I see are edge glued vs slat glued.

Yea. The blonde bamboo wood is the ticket imo. AND it's 30% harder than the darker carbonized (steamed for color) according to LL.
I just saw comparable product at a big box today--really nice material.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This project is back to number 4 on my home improvement list for 2006.
The bamboo is Not good for my 2 big dogs per LL. Too soft I'm told.
And FWIW this whole thing will cost minimum twice as much as expected after factoring in adhesive and concrete sealer.

The fellow I spoke with has bamboo flooring. hmmm...

Need Plan "B". arghh...

Truth be told I really prefer ceramic tile. But I've never seen one that doesn't get very cold on feet in winter...which won't work for this particular room.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A heat mat under the tile adds cost, but runs on surprising little power to take the chill off. Now, if you wanted to heat the room with it, that is a different story. A warm tile floor is one of lifes true pleasures...

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
A heat mat under the tile adds cost, but runs on surprising little power to take the chill off. Now, if you wanted to heat the room with it, that is a different story. A warm tile floor is one of lifes true pleasures...

OK. I'll bite. How much and whats involved...??
;)

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There are many brands, some are more expensive than others, but are much easier to install. Best place to ask tiling questions is at www.johnbridge.com. The least expensive method is cable and clips. The easiest is mats. Check them out and decide if it is in the world of possibility.

I have in-floor radiant heat, so my one tiled bathroom is only warm in the winter...

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
There are many brands, some are more expensive than others, but are much easier to install. Best place to ask tiling questions is at www.johnbridge.com. The least expensive method is cable and clips. The easiest is mats. Check them out and decide if it is in the world of possibility.

I have in-floor radiant heat, so my one tiled bathroom is only warm in the winter...

I will. And any comments/experience with how well these work is appreciated. I may start a new thread. Also..as it turns out I just received a sample from one bamboo flooring company (not LL).
It doesn't pass my hardness test. It's teriffic for decorative Non-Kids/Pets/Heavy traffic.

If you drop a spoon on a bamboo floor imo it will easily leave a permanent pronounced dent.
Back to "Plan B"

It's not right for me and my active lifestyle. My big ole desert dogs would trash a bamboo floor in a matter of months. I don't care for the other woods appearance except the hand scraped versions which is o u t of my budget right now. And I need to get this carpet o u t asap.
It's in need of cleaning but Im not spending $$ on that. I hate it so much I may just rip it out and live on the slab till "Plan B" materializes.
Which might be just fine to walk on because we are in triple digit heat now till september. It was 115 in Palm Springs last week.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks