New tub drain gurgles... venting issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

AMP

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the process of turning an unused bedroom into a new master bath. We had the slab saw cut and had our plumber tie new drain lines into the existing 3" cast iron that happened to be running under this room.

On Friday we got the tub set and drain hooked up. I filled the tub with the garden hose in order to test-run the pump and heater. Everything is working very well... but... upon draining the tube I noticed a VERY loud gurgling noise from the overflow. The noise starts as soon as the stopper is lifted and continues until the tub is drained. Closing the stopper and re-opening it will allow the drain to run quietly for a few seconds then it starts gurgling again.

The tub and shower share a 1.5" vent which goes up 9 ft then across the attic (about 12ft) to tie into the 2" vent coming from the toilet.

Is this noise likely a venting issue? If so, what's the best course of action to solve it?

Thanks!
-Andrew

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, each trap requires its own vent and it must be within certain distance from the trap depending on the size of the fixture.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
If your plumber did the work, you should call him back to correct the problem. Your vent isn't venting properly, thus the gurgling. It may be located too far from the fixture, not sized or sloped properly.

Good luck,
Jason

Casman

Reaction score
I am almost certain I was told on here before that the loud sounds were normal and a good thing. Mine is a clawfoot tub and the water cruises right out with loud sounds coming from the overflow, I did move my tub, had never used it prior and wasn't sure about the noise. I had concerns about the distance to vent cause I was a little over, but mine does not siphon.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gurgle

One way to tell if a tub is draining at its maximum is if the drain DOES GURGLE through the overflow. That means the water is flowing so quickly that it is pulling air into the drain.

rat4spd

Reaction score
I got my tub done a week ago. I'm sure the gurgling could wake the dead, but the drain is right on top of the stack. It's a big tub and drains real quick.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks