(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing tub with shower pan

and you really really cannot add another P-trap in series with an existing one.

Default Tub Replacement w/shower pan

Well, I did keep digging and found a 2 inch P-trap with a 1 1/2 inch straight pipe attached via an adapter. I dug out all of the sand around it so I would have room to work.I also drilled and made an access through the slab at the center of the shower stall. I then cut off the trap at the point where it connected to a 2 inch straight pipe. I solvent welded a 2 inch sanitary 90 degree ell and brought a straight section of pipe to the center of the shower slab. At that point I connected a 2 inch P-trap and then a vertical 2 inch sched. 40 pipe to 1/2 inch above the slab. The pipe was plumbedand then was plugged with a rag until I finish the blocking and framing. I packed the sand back in the whole up to the slab and compacted it firm with a 2x4.
    I feel better now that I found the P-trap and moved it's location to right below the 2 inch Oatey drain. Thanks again gentlemen. I have worked in emergency medicine for over 40 years, so if I can return the favor please e-mail me directly for any questions or advice.
    marc

Default Replacing tub w/ showerpan

I have chiseled out the concrete slab to center the drain. That was quite a job.I am ready to remopve the tub P-trap and move the new drain to the center of the shower floor. My questions aare:
    1) At what height do I attach the new PVC drain and trap,(I will be using a PVC shower pan after I apply a dry mud bed over a Thinset bonding to the slab);
    2) How can I predetermine the height of the Oatey drain so that it is seated properly considering that I will be using a preslope deck mud, PVC liner, then anotherr deck mud base, then tile;
    3) Is there a minimum height /depth of the vertical pipe from the shower drain to the P-trap, ( is there a required distance of vertical drop);
    I know that for the horizontal pipe I must have 1/4 inch per foot of run to the main waste pipe. This is not as easy as it looks on This Old House!
    marc

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There is a maximum depth of the trap (too much velocity), but there is no minimum depth of the trap. The thickness of the preslope under the drain isn't a big problem if it is on a concrete slab - but they like something like 3/4" or so. If you go over to www.johnbridge.com and check out the "Liberry", there's a detailed discussion on this topic.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Replacing tub w/ showerpan

Thanks Jim. I will check out that posting in the "Liberry"
    Marc