My husband and I are in the midst of renovating our 1st home, built in 1850. Needless to say, we are having some problems.
While tearing down wallboard in the first floor bathroom, I came across the cast iron pipe for the plumbing to the upstairs half bath. (The toilet had been leaking, so we had previosly shut off the water to that upstairs room.)
The pipe had 3 pieces of metal flashing-type sheets, wrapped with wire to hold it to the pipe. When I took off the flashing, I discovered that the back of the pipe had disintegrated, thus the leaking. It is approx. 4 feet in length that will need to be replaced. Should we remove the whole pipe and install new PVC plumbing, or just cut the damaged piece and go from there? Oh, I forgot to mention that we have NO plumbing experience!
Any advice is great!