Commercial Garden Hose

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a recommendation of where to buy and hopefully brand name of
heavy duty garden hose. Won't kink--can handle long exposure to super high desert temps in summer but reliable in case of fire as well.
I'm watering lots of cactus primarily.

"Contractors grade" hose at big box has has mixed reviews.
comments appreciated.

M.

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Do they have a Sams club near you? For the past few years I have using a pair I bought from Sams' I think they were $25 each. They are 250', they have the heavy duty Metal fittings, they do not kink,. I have been dragging mine around my landscaping, over fences, all sorts of crap. As for a desert heat, I am not sure, they have weathered 3 summers in the NC piedmont (85-100 degrees). So we got SOME heat, probably alot more humidity.
If you go to Sams to check them out, be careful they usually put them next to soaker hoses so it is easy to grab the wrong one of you are not watching the labels.

Prashster

Reaction score
250' is awesome if you can manage that much hose.

I got an Apex Neverkink from L*wes and I love it. The fittings are thick brass and coil reinforced. 100'. I think it was $40, though.

While we're on the subject, let me pass on advice I got and didn't follow but wish I did: Never try to fix a hose. Buy a new one. Replacement fittings and tape just don't work that well, and you'll go through too many and too much time to justify not spending $25-$40 on a brand new top-o-the-line hose.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Sears has a heavy duty black rubber commercial-like hose that's very good. Lifetime warranty. Leaves black marks on clothes though :(

Jason

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The new sears heavy duty black hose is not as good as what I bought from them 30 years ago.

By the way, I still have some of those old 30 year black hoses.
They didn't kink, and would roll up in cold weather.

So "who" does make them like that now?

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I will look at the sears model later on. The 100 ft. Apex at L*wes looks very good but I really want 200-250 foot in case of brush fires out here. Had 2 in last year near me.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
That's too bad, Terry. Bean counters musta gotten involved. The ones from 15 years ago are pretty good too.

I got some Sears el cheapo vinyl hose or something, but w/ lifetime warranty :) I'll just trade it in with the tape measure every year...

Might find something in a grainger catalog....

Jason

Prashster

Reaction score
Sears went to overseas production on a lot of things. Sadly, this is affected the quality of a lot of their tools. Price has caused a decrease in quality of a lot of the major tool brands. We live in a disposable world, apparently.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I threw the towel in years ago. Im even nice to the customer service guys now. "So..Saheed how is the weather in Bangor (India) today?"

we lost that war fellas...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks