Outdoor Spa Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm being engaged as a design consultant to my son for a deck with hot tub/spa design and construction. Some questions:

Does the tub/spa go on top of the deck (about 3 ft high) or recessed with the bottom of the flange of the spa/tub just off the deck by 1/4" or so? Or is it optional? Advantages of each?

If it is recessed, the tub will have its own foundation. Otherwise, the deck supports will be made to support it and it will have its own skirt.

If the tub is flush, how wide an apron should there be around the tub where it will be near a railing or a wall? How about walk-around space if it is on the deck?

The deck will be 24 to 30 inches off the ground so the bottom of the tub, if recessed, would be near or slightly below existing ground, with drainage so it wouldn't ever float.

It will be outside. Fill will be with a hose so we don't need an air gap with the water supply. I assume that if it must be drained we can water the grass.

What kind of systems are used for filtration and disinfection? Is that part of the equipment?

It will have its own 230 Volt GFCI circuit.

Any other things I haven't thought of?

Is there a spa forum that I should check out?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My spa is set down into the deck so that there is about 4" above the surface of the deck. You should check the installation instructions as to what kind of support it needs. I do not think it wise just to set it on top of the deck, but don't put it below ground level. It drains via gravity. Mine had specific instructions as to where 4x4 stringers had to be. Even a relatively small spa like mine is heavy when filled with water. All of the filtration is built into the spa. You simply fill it with cold water, turn on the heater, add the chemicals, and let it heat. Mine takes about 24 hours to get hot. When you drain the spa, you can let the water go onto the lawn, but you need to be sure there is not a fresh dose of cholorine in the water when you do. You don't have to drain it very often, just add water when it gets low and keep the chemicals up to proper levels. Chemicals are added by just sprinkling it into the spa with the pump running, no special equipment required. Your dealer should give you specific directions on installation, chemicals, etc. for your brand/model spa.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks