Pipe replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

nzairforce

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
Howdy Everyone!
Great site. Lots of information.
I am remodelling my bathroom, and I want to replace and reroute some plumbing, water pipes for vanity and shower.
Below is a picture of what I want to tackle. The pipe running up the wall goes to the shower, the ones heading away from the wall are the vanity pipes. The vanity pipes run over the floor joists, so I want to reroute them below so that I can install a new floor. I'm not sure what the existing pipes are made of, but they may be brass. Other photo is some that I buffed up to find out. I want to change to copper piping for the shower and vanity piping, from the T-junction in the first picture. My question is: Can I just attach copper fittings directly to the "T" if this is Brass, or do I need to get some sort of dielectric fitting for the transition? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 100_1095.jpg
    100_1095.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_1097.jpg
    100_1097.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 245

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check to see if the pipe is magnetic. If magnetic, it's steel; if not it's probably brass. Copper is compatible with brass and most people put copper to steel without dielectric unions.

nzairforce

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
Great!!

Cheers Bob! I really appreciate the quick reply. I'll go and check that out now.

nzairforce

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
More pipes

Howdy!
Can someone please give me some insight on how I would go about replacing this pipe? I appears to be made of lead, and there also appears to be lead "melted" into the connection with the main waste pipe. Any thoughts? Thanks. :confused:

nzairforce

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
Oops!

:(
Forgot to attached the picture. Sorry!

Attachments

• Toilet Pipe.jpg
    Toilet Pipe.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 318

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
cut ti off

their is a 6 inch brass nipple comming out of that cast iron tee....

you can see where the bulge is.....and where the brass is welded to

the lead flange....

if you simply take a hack saw and cut it off down to that brass nipple

then melt away the excess lead off the brass with a torch,

and wipe it clean to the brass nipple

you should be able to attach a 4x3 fernco fitting right onto

that brass nipple... and convert it to PVC pipe....

and it off to the races...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks