Pumps- Lesson Learned- The Same but Different

Users who are viewing this thread

Lance725

Reaction score
Last Wednesday my spinklers stopped working and I discovered that my pump had gone bad (approx. 15 years old). I went to Lowes and got a pump that SEEMED to be the exact specs as the one I was replacing. Once I got it hooked up, it did not produce enough pressure to turn most of the heads in zones 1 and 2. I wrote in to this forum, and had several people tell me that the valves possibly needed cleaning (they were filthy). I tried that, but had the same output. It is then that I learned that the pump that I had purchased from Lowes indeed had the same specs but the gallons per minute output was much lower than the original pump. That is the companies way of producing a cheaper model for the big box stores. The story does have a good ending though. Lowes allowed me to return the pump for a full refund, and I am getting the right one from a local well driller for the same price as the one I purchased from Lowes. Thanks for the help from everyone who replied to my emails

V

vaplumber

Most of the major and top grade manufacturers rate their pumps on the low side, while the cheaper brands will rate them only at what they are legally required. If you buy the same make, stick with the specs. If you buy a cheaper brand, increase the specs by 10-15%, and plan on replacing it in about 7-8 years instead of 15.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I can't speak about HD, L***s has a policy that they will take anything back at any time even without a slip as long as it scans on their puter.

I watched a guy with no slip return an insulated door that looked like he took a ballpeen hammer to it. He told them that was how it was when he bought it and that they charged him full price. They gave him credit for it, full price.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I know a guy who bought a saw, used it for the weekend to build a shed then took it back for a full refund. Pretty soon the rental shops will be out of business too.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks