Leaking Shower Head

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbersHelper

Reaction score
I have just encountered a problem in an older house (built approx. 1978) concerning a leaking shower head. There are both cold and hot water valves below the shower head. For both the valves, ALL that is protruding from the surface of the tile is about 11/16" of what looks like 5/8" dia. threaded (steel?) pipe nipple. From the middle of each of the two nipples protrudes about 3/8" of a 5/16" dia. fluted brass piece for knob attachment (threaded hole in the middle of the brass part). There are no retaining rings and the threaded nipples are completely grouted in to the the surrounding tile.

Does anyone recognize the brand of valve? Not being familiar with this type of valve, am I going to have to remove the grout around the nipples, deep sockets to remove and replace what I assume is some type of cartridge? What is correct procedure? Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is a typical case of a tile setter trying to be "too good". They sometimes don't understand that a much larger hole needs to be left exposed for maintenance. That is why shower valves have large trim flanges....to cover the necessary hole. You will probably need a hole about 1-1/2" diam. minimum in order to remove the stem with a stem wrench.

Last edited by a moderator:

lundi66

Reaction score
leaky shower head

Hi,
I have a leaky shower head. It is a Delta single handle shower, a shower only, no connection to tub. I was told that the washers probably need replacing since the house was build in 1990. I removed the knob down to the two washers & springs. Took them to the store for replacement & was told that the O rings were worn. However, they did not have the replacemnet parts. I put the handle & parts back together, until I could get the proper replacement. When I turned on the main water valve (not separate shut-off valve at the shower), the shower water is on, & the handle doesn't work to turn the water off. Thus, my entire water supply throughtout the house has to be turned off, otherwise the shower will run continueously.

What could I have done incorrectly when putting the faucet handle back together? Please advise.
I have pictures, but I don't know how to attach them here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
delta

What "O" rings? Delta kitchen faucets have "O" rings but shower, tub, and lavatory faucets do not. You must have left the seats and springs out or installed them improperly. They go in the two "side" holes, not the top and bottom ones.

Miranda12

Reaction score
I have a leaking shower head, too.

I am having a similar problem with my shower head. I took apart the entire handle, replaced the seats and springs in the two holes at the back, replaced cartridge, bonnet assembly, and handle, but the shower head still leaked. When I removed the shower head, a lot of water sprayed out, then turned into a drip. I decided to see how much it would drip, or if it had ben fixed, so I left a bucket under it. In the morning, I checked it and the bucket was full. I am trying to figure out what is going on with it. If you figured out anything, let me know. I'll do my best to figure it out...if I do, I'll let you know. Thanks, Miranda

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks