valve for shower/tub...

Users who are viewing this thread

Roces79

Reaction score
Hi,

I am remodeling my bathroom to have a corner tub/shower area. We are looking to add a wallmounted tub spout, fixed overhead shower, and a hand shower unit. In addition we want to use a 2 handle control for the flow of water (NOT a single lever).

I didn't think this setup would cause a problem, however I have my faucet store saying basically that I HAVE to use a single lever system with pressure balance to be up to US code. I don't understand this as there are plenty of 2 handle shower systems available everywhere.

Can someone please shine some light on what kind of valves are possible for what I am trying to do or explain why it is not possible.

Thank you!

Rudy

Ps: We only would need 1 of the 3 outputs available at one time.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The plumbing codes today require that in new construction or remodel, an anti-scald type of valve be used. MOST but NOT ALL of these are single handle types. You can find from Delta and others a set up that has the two ( or 3) handle function. One handle is on/off/volume and the other handle is temp control, and this has pressure-balanced or thermostatic scald control.

Your "faucet store" guy does not know his product lines very well. Ask him to get out the catalogs and have a look.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When a shower is involved, you have to use pressure balance (and to that you can add thermostatic control). If it is only a tub filler, you do not. So, if it is designed to include a shower, to make it simpler, they ususally use a single handle, but as noted, not always.

Roces79

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!

It just really confuses me when the plumbing code says you have to use a pressure valve, yet most major stores still sell valves without this feature. I would think that would not be allowed.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Plumbing codes affect only the plumber/permit holder. The codes do not affect or apply to stores.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks