(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: valve for shower/tub...

  1. #1

    Default valve for shower/tub...


    I am remodeling my bathroom to have a corner tub/shower area. We are looking to add a wallmounted tub spout, fixed overhead shower, and a hand shower unit. In addition we want to use a 2 handle control for the flow of water (NOT a single lever).

    I didn't think this setup would cause a problem, however I have my faucet store saying basically that I HAVE to use a single lever system with pressure balance to be up to US code. I don't understand this as there are plenty of 2 handle shower systems available everywhere.

    Can someone please shine some light on what kind of valves are possible for what I am trying to do or explain why it is not possible.

    Thank you!


    Ps: We only would need 1 of the 3 outputs available at one time.

  2. #2
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    San Diego


    The plumbing codes today require that in new construction or remodel, an anti-scald type of valve be used. MOST but NOT ALL of these are single handle types. You can find from Delta and others a set up that has the two ( or 3) handle function. One handle is on/off/volume and the other handle is temp control, and this has pressure-balanced or thermostatic scald control.

    Your "faucet store" guy does not know his product lines very well. Ask him to get out the catalogs and have a look.
    Last edited by jimbo; 06-09-2006 at 06:59 AM. Reason: add

  3. #3
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    When a shower is involved, you have to use pressure balance (and to that you can add thermostatic control). If it is only a tub filler, you do not. So, if it is designed to include a shower, to make it simpler, they ususally use a single handle, but as noted, not always.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  4. #4


    Thanks for the info!!

    It just really confuses me when the plumbing code says you have to use a pressure valve, yet most major stores still sell valves without this feature. I would think that would not be allowed.

  5. #5
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005


    Plumbing codes affect only the plumber/permit holder. The codes do not affect or apply to stores.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts