Booster Pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

rba

Reaction score
I am planning to install a 1500 gallon reservoir between our well and the house. I am pretty certain I will need a booster pump. In my Northern Tools catalog they have two type .... a "Multistage Booster Pump" (1/2, 3/4, 1hp) or a "PressureMate 3/4 HP" home pressure system.

Any opinions as to which one would be preferable would be greatly appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman

You not only need a booster pump but also a pressure tank, pressure switch, check valve, and a liquid level control for the reservoir. Should not need a multistage pump if you choose the right single stage one. Also would recommend using a good brand pump and not a knock off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Any opinions as to which one would be preferable would be greatly appreciated."

None of the above.

The Pressuremate has a maximum pressure capability of 40 psi. It is intended as a booster with input pressure.

The multistage pumps are intended to boost a pressurized system. They don't give a spec on required inlet pressure but a similar pump in the Grainger catalog specifies a minimum inlet pressure of 10 psi if the temperature is above 60 F. The 3/4" inlet and outlet severely restrict the usability of those pumps.

Before you select a pump, determine what you need/want for flow and pressure. Then get a pump that will not be operating near its limits.

A shallow well jet pump will meet most household needs.

If you need a lot of flow, you can get a multistage centrifugal that is designed for your service. You will need a pressure tank with actual volume at least 3 times and preferably 5 times the GPM capacity of the pump.

A submersible pump in the tank will also work well but you will not be able to pump the tank dry with it. It would not be my choice for your application. DO NOT get a submersible from a big box store. It will not have the correct pressure for your tank application.

A shallow well jet example is the 3/4 HP Goulds J7S:

At 5 ft lift (you will have zero lift but the tables don't go there) it will deliver 21.3 GPM at 30 psi, 18.3 GPM at 40 psi, 12.5 GPM at 50 psi, and 6.6 GPM at 60 psi. I would select such a pump to operate between 30 and 50 psi, with a 60 to 80 gallon bladder tank.

You could go to 1 HP J10S or 1.5 HP J15S for more flow and pressure if you need it. I would use a 115 to 120 gallon tank for the larger pumps.

Last edited:

rba

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks so much for the information.

Here's what I am working with ... we live out in the country in eastern washington. Our well is 1200 ft from the house, on top of a hill (about 150 ft above the house in elevation) On top of the hill, we have a deep well submersible pump (unknown horsepower) that is connected to a 120 gallon precharged tank. From there it drops down to our house. Everything currently works great. But I have been concerned that should there be a problem with the pump or well itself, we would have no reserve. To that end I thought putting in a reservoir would be prudent. Unfortunately the only place that would work for a location is at the bottom of the hill at the same elevation as the house ... we will lose our friend ... gravity.

Anyway I have access to a 1500 gal. above ground tank that I can enclose in a small building. I figured I would then move the 120 gal. pressure tank down to this building (from it's current location at the top of the hill) From there I would set up a system of valves that would allow me to route the water to the reservoir or through the pressurized tank and to the house as currently exists.

Obviously the tank will need a level control mechanism to fill it when necessary.

Anyway, I guess the question for me is: when the water comes out of the bottom of the reservoir, what should go in downstream? a pump that feeds a pressure tank? If so what sort of pump is needed? (The shallow well pump you spoke of?) A submersible pump in the tank doesn't seem like the best way to go.

Also I am uncertain about whether I need a special pump that is pressure sensitive. Obviously I want it to automatically sense whether or not it needs to be pumping.

Currently our water pressure is just fine ... though a little more wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thank you so much for the great assistance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks