(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Professional References

That's a very geeky site-Angie's.

chrissake..Get referrals from your local hardware store. I do it all the time. Works like a charm.
    My plumber works in my home as if it were his own-he's the best I've seen.
    We've become quite friendly and he also has an ego ala' Rugged. Consequently I have to tell him to STFU now and then.

Never would have found him without hardware store referral.
    He's afraid of computers like a little school girl. lol
    Last edited by Mike50; 06-15-2006 at 05:12 PM.

"...your local hardware store..."
    Depot and Lowes have ingested just about all our local hardware stores. i hate to admit it but I have of course been part of the problem there as I have frquented both places. The more I do though, the less I go there. Depot USED to actually have a lot of pros in the stores that could intelligently answer questions, Lowes (at least locally) never did. Now the vast ,majority of people at our local stores don't know jack and in a lot of cases are dangerous cause the advice they would give you is either made up or completely wrong. I had a friend who they told him to just use hardibacker in his shower since it is "waterproof" already. Needless to say he figured out after he spent a bundle putting it together that he needed to tear it all out, waterproof the hardi-backer and retile. When he went back to Depot and had a "discussion" with the expert who told him that, the expert insisted he was right until my friend pulled out the documentation he got from the manufacturer. Which leads me to wonder, what does it take to be an "expert" at Depot?

In terms of plumbers, mine is awesome and I found him by blind luck. He is missing half of 3 fingers on his left hand, he has about 3 teeth and has such a drawl that I can bearly understand him sometimes but he does VERY good work, is priced reasonably, and what was most surprising to me, even with his rough looks, he has some good people skills. So, if anyone near Gaston County, NC needs a referral I would be glad recommend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouranga
    "...your local hardware store..."
    Depot and Lowes have ingested just about all our local hardware stores. i hate to admit it but I have of course been part of the problem there as I have frequented both places. The more I do though, the less I go there. Depot USED to actually have a lot of pros in the stores that could intelligently answer questions, Lowes (at least locally) never did. Now the vast ,majority of people at our local stores don't know jack and in a lot of cases are dangerous cause the advice they would give you is either made up or completely wrong. ....[..]..Which leads me to wonder, what does it take to be an "expert" at Depot?

I DO NOT take advice from big box -or-hardware store clerks. period.
    You will find an earlier thread where I was advised to clean my windows with muriatic acid--which may have had disasterous implications for my 40 yo Joshua tree not to mention my exterior paint. I had some common sense talked into me from the experienced pros on this website.

I always consult the manager of our store who keeps business cards behind the cash register
    of people that they get good feedback on. I'm in a small town now so it's pretty easy.

Regretfully I shop at big box too. I try in earnest not to regularly. Last week I replaced 2 outdoor garden faucets. They were both purchased from the hardware store and the quality was far superior from both big boxes-same price.

Real Horror stories are everywhere on the web about taking Gomer's advice from these stores. I would be in favor of a big red disclaimor at the front door. I really consider it a serious problem.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by Gouranga
    He is missing half of 3 fingers on his left hand, he has about 3 teeth and has such a drawl that I can bearly understand him sometimes but he does VERY good work, is priced reasonably, and what was most surprising to me, even with his rough looks,

Hey man, I'm trying to find me a wife and you're not doing me any favors disclosing my physical goodies all over da net.

Please, I got fore taef.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Well if you were him, you'd still have a good shot. He has been growing his stuff REAL fast lately. He was one of 2 plumbers in our county that had the cameras for the sewer lines. As good as he is with people and as much as he expects the same from his guys, there are a lot of folks from quite a wide area trying to hire him. He has also recently got a huge mess of commercial work too. Unfortunately for him, plenty of work for the county and state gov't too (specifically schools). From what he told me, sounds like doing plumbing work for the gov't is about as rediculous as doing IT work for them. One thing you can say, they are consistant. Consistantly screwed up in every dept on every level.