Washing Machine drain

Users who are viewing this thread

CityKid

Reaction score
I would like to put a plastic trap attached to this stack for the WM to use (where that small hose enters). Is there a neoprene gasket to connect PVC to cast iron?

The small hose going into the stack is from the previous owner. Doesn't seem correct. Is my idea okay?

Any and all opinions are welcomed. Thank you.

Attachments

• WM-Drain.jpg
    WM-Drain.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 983

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a little hard to see from this angle what you have there.

The washer hose there is not right.

You should be able to cut in a vent and 2" p-trap for a washer standpipe there.
The do make a variety of couplings and adapters for that purpose.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I can't tell how that hose is connected to the cast iron there. It looks kind of 'ghetto' though.

You can use a Fernco coupling to connect to PVC. Still allowing access to the cleanout is a good idea. You'll need a 2" drain for the washer and you could connect up to a 4"x4"x2" sanitary tee for your washer and then a cleanout on the other 4" side which would allow a snake to pass through.

Code would call for a vent, but if you didn't have one, it would probably still work, as it probably does now in a ghetto-fashion.

Jason

CityKid

Reaction score
So that'd be 2" pipe and p-trap into a 4" connecting piece at the stack, correct?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whole House Trap?

That almost looks like a "whole house" trap there just beyond the tee where the washer hose enters. I don't know what else that U-shaped piece of pipe could be.

Last edited:

CityKid

Reaction score
Yes, it is. The trap beyond you see is just before it leave the house.

CityKid

Reaction score
The getto fixture that the hose is going into is a 4" opening that would be used for as a drain cleanout. How do I connect to this (after all thet junk is cleaned off of course)? The actual opening is 4" but the pipe is another 1-1.5" wider. Do I need a rubber gasket that can go over the entire opening? Or do I stick a piece of PVC into the opening, attach it with a gasket (somehow) and then connect the other end to the PVC 4" tee?

Thanks again.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
citykid said:
The getto fixture that the hose is going into is a 4" opening that would be used for as a drain cleanout. How do I connect to this (after all thet junk is cleaned off of course)? The actual opening is 4" but the pipe is another 1-1.5" wider. Do I need a rubber gasket that can go over the entire opening? Or do I stick a piece of PVC into the opening, attach it with a gasket (somehow) and then connect the other end to the PVC 4" tee?

Thanks again.

If it's threaded, find a compatable PVC threaded to slip fitting at the big box store, if it's just 4in pipe sticking out an inch or two, throw a fernco onto it w/ a little piece of 4in PVC into a 4x4x2 sanitary tee. In the other end of the tee, put your 4in cleanout. You can then use the 2in fiting, w/ a trap, for your washer.

You only need like a 5in length of 4in PVC for between the fernco and tee. If you ask nicely, maybe someone would give it to you. Tell 'em its for a science project or something. Smallest size I've seen is 5ft stick otherwise.

Jason

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
what about that 4" San-T on its back?

just before the whole-house trap, you have an interesting setup. Where the rigged washer line goes in, what is that big piece that looks like a Sanitary Tee laid on its back?

David

CityKid

Reaction score
There are a couple of pipes leading into it.
From directly above a drain for the kitchen in the next room.
Leaning in from above is the toilet.
Behind and from above is bathroom sink.

This thing has a life to itself. :rolleyes:

By the way, I got the correct fittings. Two fernco fitting and 2" trap. I'll put up a pict when I get it done. Thank you for all your input.

CityKid

Reaction score
Where does the vent have to be(distance wise from the trap)? Can I use an Air Admittance Valve near it?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
citykid said:
Where does the vent have to be(distance wise from the trap)? Can I use an Air Admittance Valve near it?

If there are plumbing fixtures on that same level.....you should be able to hook into a vent serving another fixture as long as it isn't a drain from a fixture above.

Trap to vent on 2" maximum distance in my area is 5 foot.

CityKid

Reaction score
No other fixtures on this level (the basement). All others are drains from above (two sinks & a toilet).

CityKid

Reaction score
Almost done

Hey everyone, one last question for you all. The white PVC is not glued, so I can still re-arrange it. Can I extend the drain further towards the back of the WM, near the water supply? I ask because the toilet above that leads straight into that stack makes the water in the pvc trap disgusting. If I lead it back about a foot or two, with it being raised a bit for pitch, and have the trap near the water supply and not the stack. What do you think?

Attachments

• Drain-III.jpg
    Drain-III.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 441
  • Drain-II.jpg
    Drain-II.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 435
  • Drain-I.jpg
    Drain-I.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 407

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You may find the stand pipe coming up from the trap to short and it may over flow. How many "s is the pipe?

CityKid

Reaction score
That pipe is just temporary. I was planning on using a piece about 30-34" high. All that pvc is 2".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The higher, the better (up to a point). I think I remember the preference (code?) was taller than that.

CityKid

Reaction score
Yeah, but if I relocate the trap by the water outlets, instead of where it is now in the pictures, can I keep the 'crap' water from getting into the trap? I couldn't have two traps right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks