14-inch Rough-In. what toilet? HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

NoviceSF

Reaction score
Hi,

I am totally new to this. My boyfriend and I just bought a condo and we are redoing the bathroom. it is a very old building, and the rough in for the toilet is 14 inches. i guess when the last people redid the bathroom, they got lazy and stuck a 12 inch rough in toilet on there, so it sits about 4.5 inches off the wall. since the bathroom is already tiny, we really don't want the toilet sitting out there in the middle of the room.

anyway, as i have discovered, 14 inch rough in toilets are not very common, an d i do not have many choices.

Kohler Wellworth K3433-0
Toto Carlyle One Piece MS87414SG
Toto Pacifica Close Coupled Toilet CST804S

Apparently, Toto's skirted models have a 14 in rough in part available.

Now i know Toto is a better toilet. everyone says so. But how bad is the Kohler Wellworth? i actually like the way the kohler looks better, and it is about half the price, but if it litterally won't flush or will break in 2 years, i don't think i want it.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

abak_pacifica.jpg

TOTO Pacifica CST808

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Add Toto Carolina, Carroltin, and Vespin as possiblities (depending on your budget and style constrainsts).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All these toilets will work, even the Kohler Wellworth.

Most of the Toto's mentioned are in the 575 to 900 gram range, a nice upgrade in most cases.

The Kohler mentioned is about 250 grams, which works for many as a basic builder grade.

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
MaP rated at 800 grams
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited:

NoviceSF

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks Guys.

our only other restraint is that our bathroom is tiny (really, really small... total width 81", length 68", and it has a shower over tub, sink, and toilet), so we want a smaller toilet if at all possible (round bowl, shorter tank). There are currently about 3 inches between the toilet and the sink, and about 3 inches between the toilet and the wall. our other consideration is that we are putting in very modern fixtures and a modern, wall mounted sink to save space, so we want a relatively modern looking toilet.

will the kohler handle flushing well? let's see, how do i say this delicately... feminine products? or would we need the better Toto for that? just a thought.

as long as you don't think the Kohler Wellworth is going to explode (we heard horror stories from the sales people at various showrooms.. showrooms, mind you, that push Toto's), i think it would be fine. we are only going to be in the property for about 5 years, so we don't want to over-remodel if that makes sense.

thanks again!
E

D

dc_homeplumber

The 1.6 gallon toilets are really not equipped to handle anything other than human waste and reasonable amounts of toilet tissue. Tampons, Q-Tips and the like are going to cause problems. I have also heard for years that even Kleenex shouldn't be flushed because of the difference in the way it "decomposes."

I'm presently waiting for a new American Standard Cadet 3. This is a recently introduced model with a 3-inch flush valve and flapper (as opposed to the "flush tower" that has so miserably failed the majority who bought the American Standard Champion). The MaP rating is 1,000 grams. The trapway has sweeping bends and it has a silver ion glazing which I assume is comparable to Toto's CEFIONTECT. I ordered the elongated bowl with 12-inch rough-in through my local HD for $190.00. It is also offered in a round bowl, with 14-inch rough-in, model #2384.014, for around $225 in white. (American Standard's suggested retail prices are higher.) As mentioned, it is very new on the market and no one yet seems to stock it, so it has to be ordered with about a four week lead time. If you Google the model number, you can see pictures.

On a different note, I found recently that Kohler has introduced a new, more environmentally conscious version of the Cimarron with what appears to be their version of a flush tower. It surprises me that they would even attempt to market something like that after all that has gone wrong with the Champion.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Current code requires clearance 15" either side of the toilet centerline. Remodeling may require bringing the whole thing up to code. There is a minimum distance in Front of the bowl, too, but I don't remember the value.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
NoviceSF said:
Will the kohler handle flushing well? let's see, how do i say this delicately... feminine products? or would we need the better Toto for that? just a thought

I don't allow this in my house. My place was built in 1923 and still has the same old sewer main. Not fun to root it out and pull out loads of tampons! You might have similiar issues in an old building, so that may be one less requirement.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks