Kitchen sink drain plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

doughboy63

Reaction score
Hello, I just installed a new kitchen sink. The old one was a double bowl 4" stainless. The new one is a off set double bowl orcelain The larger bowl is on the left and has a depth of 10". The right bowl is smaller and a depth of 8". There is a disposal on the left. I have all the drain lines hooked up. They are pvc and most are slip joints. The layout is as follows. the right drain connects to a t stop which sits in the p trap, the left dispoal drain hits the t stop and the p trap connects to the main drain. My question is this. The drain from the disposal to the T stop has a slight rise to it, maybe a 1/2" or so. I did this because I was told the p trap needed to stay level with the drain out of the house which is half way up the wall inside the cabinet. The disposal drains fine and there are no leaks but it just doesnt look right. The only other fix I could think of would be to not have the p trap level with the drain line and drop it an inch or so. I dont know if this is ok or not. Any advice would be well appreciated. Thanks, Erik

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I am following you correctly, you are trying to make water run uphill and you will always have incomplete drainage and a source of clogging. Overall there needs to be a 1/4" slope per foot in a drain, but you're OK with just a few inches being level at the trap. If there is any slope, it should be downward.

doughboy63

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I figured as much. It just doesn't look right. That then leads to the next question. How do I fix it? Does the p trap need to be at the same level as the drain pipe in the wall or can it be below that level? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The outlet of the p-trap must be above the point where it turns to go down in the wall, and the horizontal section should slope to it.

doughboy63

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't see a "correct" fix for this then except actually moving the drain in the wall down a few inches which I don't want to do. If I don't do that water would have to drain up hill. Either from the disposal which is the current configuration or have that level and have the horizontal end of the p trap drain slightly up hill. Is one better than the other, or is there a solution I am missing? Thanks

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Can you find a disposal with a higher discharge to allow more slope to the wall?

Jason

doughboy63

Reaction score
In sink erator all seem to be the same according to the spec sheets. anyone know of another reputable maker of disposals?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks