Cost of repair

Users who are viewing this thread

jnkpedraza

Reaction score
Hi,
I was needing some advice. After 2 trips from a plumber in 2 weeks to come out because my toliets/sink/bathtubs were backing up my sink backed up again and they came out to fix the drain. When they ran the snake, they came back with mud and roots. :eek: They ran cameras down the pipes and when they ran it down the sink, the camera just stopped. He said the piping there was gone. Then he ran it down the main line and he said that there are 3 breaks in the cast iron and it needs to be replaced under the slab. They are talking about tunneling down under the house to replace those pipes with PVC.

My question is:
He gave me an estimate of $10,000 to $15,000. Is this a decent/fair estimate for this type of work? The reason I ask is that he turned around and said he would do it outside of the company for $6,000 Cash. I do not want to go that way because I want the work warrented. I am also asking because to get more estimates, it will cost me $ everytime because they have to run cameras to give the estimates. I know nothing about plumbing! :confused: If this is a fair deal, then so be it. I just don't know if I am being taken for a ride.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Kristy

jnkpedraza

Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

Well, I cannot use the sink at all. It was never fixed. I have not used the washer because he said the line from the washer to the main line was good, but the main line has the breaks and that is too much water to be running trough the main pipe. As far as the toilets and shower go, we have been using them and putting the toilet paper in the trash and have been taking really quick showers. I have sent my kids to my in-laws house for the week, so the usage has cut back by at least 1/2.

I will call back the company and ask them for a copy of the camera inspection, I did not know the could provide a copy.

Thank you so much!
Kristy

jnkpedraza

Reaction score
I called the company and asked for any type of video inspection tape/pictures. She said that there is only an invoice of what is wrong, they do not tape it unless the customer requests it. :mad: I didn't know to even ask for that. So I have no records, other than the invoice of what is wrong.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They shouuld have asked you when they did it.

Call them back and tell them that they never asked you if you wanted a tape and you want them to do it again at their expense and give you the tape that you would have wanted had they asked. See what they say.

What did they charge you for the camera work?

Last edited:

jnkpedraza

Reaction score
He said that since it was not the primary reason they were out there he only charged 167.00. Then he charged me another 150+ dollars to snake the sink, that didn't get repaired because they hit mud and roots. Total cost $344.00. I will call them back and keep you posted.

jnkpedraza

Reaction score
PS. Do you think that camera work even have to be done again since we know which pipes have to be replaced?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"After 2 trips from a plumber in 2 weeks to come out because my toliets/sink/bathtubs were backing up my sink backed up again and they came out to fix the drain. When they ran the snake, they came back with mud and roots. :eek: They ran cameras down the pipes and when they ran it down the sink, the camera just stopped. He said the piping there was gone. Then he ran it down the main line and he said that there are 3 breaks in the cast iron and it needs to be replaced under the slab. They are talking about tunneling down under the house to replace those pipes with PVC."

"Well, I cannot use the sink at all. It was never fixed. I have not used the washer because he said the line from the washer to the main line was good, but the main line has the breaks and that is too much water to be running trough the main pipe."

I think there are some questions about what the last guy reported "He said the piping there was gone." What does that mean? It doesn't make sense. The sink should have been rodded out to the main drain, or fixed.

"too much water to be running trough the main pipe." I would use the washer and see if the main pipes will take it. See what really happens. What do you have to lose? You may wash some of that mud into the sewer. Are you on sewer or a septic system? If you can get washer discharge through the main drain, then the sink drain can be fixed and you can make your decisions on bigger things in a more rational time frame.

I would get two separate estimates for replacing the pipe if it is indeed broken. I can't imagine trying to sell someone a $10,000 to $15,000 job without showing them the evidence from the camera inspection.

Lancaster

Reaction score
I would also let the owner know that his employe is trying to undercut him on moonlighting jobs.Man,that is the worst thing you can do to your boss.

jnkpedraza

Reaction score
I am afraid to run the washer because we just had new carpet installed 2 weeks ago. Will homeowners insurance cover the carpet if it is damaged?

We have decided to have another company come out and video the lines. They will be out this afternoon. If they make a video tape of the inspection, how do I post the pictures online?

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
jnk,

Do you have a husband/boyfriend/brother/cousin/significant other who likes to do projects? I'm serious about this. 2 people with a pick and shovel can probably repair this in several days. 2 days vacation and 2 days on the weekend. When it comes to the critical plumbing part, call the plumber and have him spend 2 hours laying and connecting pipe. The expensive part is the digging and finding the problem. If your "team" does this part, you will save a ton of $$. Digging is not skilled labor. ;) Knowing where to dig is semi-skilled, but most people are smart enough to make a good educated guess on that.

Pay your helpers with pizza, soda and donuts and they will appreciate it. A little $$ may help as well, and will be far cheaper than the plumber quoted you.

Yes, 4 days out of someone's life sounds like alot, but these things can actually be fun. Need to compare the effort to do the job vs. the $10k - $15k you would be shelling out otherwise.

jnkpedraza

Reaction score
They are talking about digging 28 yards under the house. We would not even know where to begin with that type of digging. :confused:

Prashster

Reaction score
If the camera can locate the exact positions of the breaks, then it might be easier to go through the slab in a couple locations rather than tunneling underneath the house.

I know one guy who 'diy'ed a tunneling job just like this, and he said it was the hardest thing he ever had to do. You better be darn sure you don't have a high water table or boulders to contend with.

I'd also be leery of a 'professional' who leads with a cash deal. In my experience, if the 'through-the-company' estimate is an honest one, the cash deal discount won't be more than 5-20%. I don't know why - just found it to be true in my experience.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd have to see the layout, but it might be possible to reroute things so you only have to chop up part of the slab. You could then just abandon most of the part under the slab. Putting a new one under the slab is what's costing so much (I think).

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's easy, but is it worth $10k - $15k to jnkpedraza?

2 people would make the digging go faster, and as jadnashua noted, some digging/busting could be avoided.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
jnkpedraza said:
I am afraid to run the washer because we just had new carpet installed 2 weeks ago. Will homeowners insurance cover the carpet if it is damaged?

We have decided to have another company come out and video the lines. They will be out this afternoon. If they make a video tape of the inspection, how do I post the pictures online?

If it is a digital tape it can be uploaded through a USB port on your computer. From there either Photobucket.com or other file upload server will work.

From the info I am getting from what the plumbers are saying to you.......I'm thinking someone wants a bass boat......or small aircraft with your plumbing. That type of work is expensive but I would like to see proof of their statements.

Maybe the plumbing is shot but usually a second or third opinion is worth the expense before spending that much money.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are being taken.....

This SKUMBAG should be turned in to his boss and fired.

I suggest you get about 3 more estimates, and dont let him

back into the house.

When they are dis-honest like that , their is aalso a good chance

he is just lieing about the whole situation anyway........

he probably works on commission for his company and finds things wrong.

so all you are doing with this dis-honest fellow is

makeing a Deal with the DEVIL. and ther is a good possibility

his boss might not be any better at $15,000

get other opinions first.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
This company sounds like the national company Roto R***er. A lot of their guys work like that because they pay them so poorly.

I'm with MPM. Turn the guy in and get other estimates.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I had one like that

I had a fellow like him working for me
stealing my customers behind my back in y truck.

found out about it after the fact.....

probably stole a few customers from me but

they are not the ones I really dont want or need anyway....

so they both got what they deserved......

.....each other.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks