toilet seat recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris8796

Reaction score
I recently installed a toto drake EL w/ the soft close seat. The toilet works great and was a breeze to install. My only problem is the Mrs. is not impressed with the seat. I think its the sloping inwards she don't like. The soft close is a nice feature. I just wondered if anyone else had ideas for potential seats.

D

dc_homeplumber

There are a few brands now available with the soft-close feature. Others have a lift-off design that allows easy removal of the seat and lid for easier cleaning. Some offer both.

If you want a basic sturdy, comfortable, no-frills elongated plastic seat, the Kohler Brevia is about $20 in white.

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
please explain sloping inward

Chris/or someone else who knows: Please explain what you meant by saying the Soft-close seat from Toto slopes inward. That sounds like a person would feel insecure sitting on it!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's curved to fit a persons behind, unlike most seats that are shaped like the wood planks of an outhouse.

If you like sitting on a wood bench, then the Toto seat is not for you.

For many, the Toto seat is their favorite.

But let's just say that not all butts are the same.
Viva la difference!

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
newowner said:
Chris/or someone else who knows: Please explain what you meant by saying the Soft-close seat from Toto slopes inward. That sounds like a person would feel insecure sitting on it!

Ignore that comment-it's not relevant as to your experience with that seat.
Just do it. Most say it's great. So do I. And you'll never know about something new unless you take the plunge.

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
We are buying the soft-close seat!

Thanks for all the information. The analogy of sitting on a wooden bench helped me decide, Terry. My husband is going back to the store tomorrow to buy the Soft-close seat for our Drake. I like the idea of it being shaped to fit a person's body. Also thanks for the encouragement to take the plunge, Mike.

Last edited:

Chris8796

Reaction score
follow-up

I ended up sticking with the softclose. The Mrs is getting use to it and I like it. Oddly, this is in our main floor bath and she rarely used this bathroom before the Toto. Now, I catch her using it more often. Before, she always went upstairs to the master bath. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This is not like switching brands of ketchup or mustard we've been using for years.
It's about changing habitual Behaviour. Resistance is normal.
We were taught how a toilet seat works when we were 2 or 3 yo. and it hasn't changed since then. Then some faceless entity on the internet comes along and tells you to change that...and you are supposed to just accept it..?
Some folks even get angry about it. :eek: :rolleyes:

To change a 40 year habit--you are going to meet resistance.
And that is exactly why they aren't flying off the shelves. The education process/trust thing has to happen first.

I think that is at least 50% of the reason why this messsage board works so well. These products are superior. And maybe even revolutionary. Time will tell..

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks